Author Topic: Looking for Auntie Betty  (Read 11298 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Auntie Betty
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Northern Health Services Archives

Oh, have they changed their name too? Thanks.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 March 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
There was a wee snippet in The Scotsman, February 28th 1938, announcing that Winifred B Stonehouse passed her nursing exam at The Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
There was a wee snippet in The Scotsman, February 28th 1938, announcing that Winifred B Stonehouse passed her nursing exam at The Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen.

How can i access this?
As i live in New Zealand it is a bit hard to pop in and look at records.
Thanks to everyone for their help

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Also in the Aberdeen P & J - 28th February 1938

It just lists her as passing the final examination of the General Nursing Council for  Scotland. Hospital was RVI, Aberdeen.

If you're not in UK (via libraries/universities) , you can probably access them via the British Newspaper Archive:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?gclid=CPCVjdfMrr0CFY_ItAodZXwAvg

or Scotsman Archive

http://archive.scotsman.com/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Gadget. Will read the papers after lunch.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »

How can i access this?
As i live in New Zealand it is a bit hard to pop in and look at records.
Thanks to everyone for their help

Carol

Depending on where you are in New Zealand you can access the 19th Century British Newspapers online for free through your council using your library card. Not all councils subscribe.

Gadget has already given you a link to the Scotsman (I get access for free with my library card).

It's definitely worth a browse around your council's library website for online resources available.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if the Aberdeen P & J might have an archive search prior to 2006  and after 1953, for a possible obituary. It would probably give more info than our earlier finds.

Here's the link to the P&J Digital Archive:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/ClipSearch/

There's a 'Contact Us' link which might be worth pursuing.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 March 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Aberdeenshire library service have archives of the P&J in their headquarters building. As far as I'm aware, these are held on microfiche and you have to make an appointment to go and look. At least that was the procedure the last time I was looking for something a few years ago.

It just so happens that the place in question is only 5 minuites walk from my house, and if you can't get access through your library in NZ, I can pop in some day and see if I could get a printout and send it to you.

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 March 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Aberdeenshire library service have archives of the P&J in their headquarters building. As far as I'm aware, these are held on microfiche and you have to make an appointment to go and look. At least that was the procedure the last time I was looking for something a few years ago.

I was in the Aberdeen Public Library a couple of weeks ago. They have the P and J on microfilm, not microfiche, and they fetched me the film I wanted without advance notice, and ten minutes before closing time.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.