Author Topic: Peggy H Dransfield and Miss M I Dransfield  (Read 2757 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Peggy H Dransfield and Miss M I Dransfield
« on: Sunday 16 March 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chaps,

Newmark401 is looking for biographical information (birth, marriage death) on :-

“Peggy” H. Dransfield - Active circa 1910 - Sister of player M.I. Dransfield - believed to be English Lawn tennis Players.

There were 2 players in NSW Australia who were playing around 1900/1910 with those initials but at the moment I think we are discounting them.

One of the tennis forums suggests she was Peggy Dransfield with a maiden name of Harrop.  The nearest match I can come up with are the Dransfield family who are in Huddersfield in 1891 - the father uses "Harrop" in his middle name. I've never heard for Phyllis being abbreviated to Peggy though so that throws me - what do you think ?

James Harrop Dransfield  37 Solicitor born Huddersfield.
Minnie M Dransfield  34
Phyllis A M Dransfield  32 (This aged should be 2 years old - born 19 Feb 1889) Born Huddersfield.
Mary E M Pearce  21 Visitor
Sarah S Medley  26 Nurse
Alice A Moxon  21 Cook
Alice Henderson  18 Housemaid

1901 Shoreham Sussex shows what could be - sister M I Dransfield

Matilda Congreve  72
James H Dransfield  47
Minnie Dransfield  44
Phyllis A M Dransfield  12
Muriel G Dransfield  6 - The baptism record is for Murial Iona born 6 th Jan 1895 - so the name fits
Eliza A Hitchcock  62
Ellen Gale  50
Hannah Burtenshaw  31
Sarah Sinden  28
Sarah Smedley  36
Mary Hoddard  25

If Phyllis is P or Peggy then it looks as if she never married and death was reg Dec 1959, Kensington, age 70 years.

Muriel Iona Dransfield - birth Mar 1895 Huddersfield
Marriage Jun 1924 to Christopher Wright Warren, St Martin London
Couple of daughters born 1925 and 1925 in London area
Died September 1980, Richmond upon Thames, born 6 Jan 1895

In the quarter finals 1922 Wimbledon Championships – Women's Singles - Phyllis Dransfield played Irene Peacock - which makes me think I have identified the right people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Women's_Singles

Interestingly someone found some photographs of the Dransfield (Phyllis, Muriel, Ella and other initials) on an album page from Romania of a 1904 car - -previous RootsChat topic.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=527113.0

It would be great if we could find any newspaper articles that name the sisters Phyllis and Muriel Iona Dransfield ? Can anyone help ?

Thanks
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peggy H Dransfield and Miss M I Dransfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have had a look at my burial index and the Harrop connection with the Dransfield family seem to go way back.
I have a John Harrop Dransfield 63 wool merchant of Bridge End, Almondbury buried at Huddersfield St. Paul's, 18 March 1843.
My records indicate that there still is an headstone for the family and it does look like they were well off.
The graveyard was full by 1850's but there was an entry for the incinerated remains of James Harrop Dransfield 63 of the Manor House Farringham, Kent on the 1 December 1917.
It might be worth a look to see if you can find an obit in the papers.

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
According to probate James Harrop Dransfield died 26 November 1917 and the two executors were Minnie Martha Dransfield widow and Phyllis Anne Mary Dransfield spinster.
You might be better off looking in the local Kent paper but it might have something in the Huddersfield papers you could try contacting the Huddersfield Local History Library and giving them the date and asking them to have a look for you.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Various Dransfields at a fashionable wedding. Suggests that Muriel Iona was known by her middle name, at least when she was a child:

Bedfordshire Advertiser 6 Jun 1902
marriage (4 Jun) at Pulloxhill of Ethel Jessie PEARCE (to Reginald MOXON)
daughter of Rev Percy FJ PEARCE (Vicar of Pulloxhill)

Bridesmaids include Phyllis DRANSFIELD (Huddersfield; cousin, (of the bride ?)
guests include Mr & Mrs DRANSFIELD
gifts include
Mr & Mrs DRANSFIELD: cheque
Miss Phyllis DRANSFIELD: entree dishes
Miss ‘Iono’ DRANSFIELD: silver eggstand
Mr JH DRANSFIELD: clock
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
P Dransfield seems to have played at Wimbledon at least until 1927, sometimes listed as P.H. Dransfield

I also found a reference to a P Dransfield in an event in Yorkshire in 1930  where she is described as a 'former county champion' (Yorkshire Post 15 Aug 1930) - She would have been in her 40's by then if this is the same Phyllis.

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk