Author Topic: A bit of a puzzle  (Read 29493 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a puzzle
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this helps

[Thomas Peacock taking TS as an apprentice]

27 June 1792
Thos Peacock Presley Co. of Huntingdon Blacksmith etc Thos Surridge

Where was Presley? A farm?

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Surridge married Sophia Peacock on 16 Sep 1793, the same day that Thomas Peacock, blacksmith married Mary Litchfield. Seems he was a fellow Moravian - born 4 June 1749 at Bowshot, Northamptonshire (= Bozeat),  received: 13 Nov 1789 at Bedford. Not sure if this is the same TS, as he'll be too old to be an appentice !
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Riseley seems to have been Bedford Moravians most successful outpost - Congregation Diary 2 Apr 1745 Br Rogers and Leonard Willamot went to visit at Risely and about. Br Rogers preached at Risely to a large company.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 15:57 GMT (UK) »
OK... Thomas Peacock, blacksmith married Mary Litchfield at Riseley on 19 Sept 1793. His Moravian church baptism entry has his birth being 8 Dec 1760 and that his parents were John & Mary. His burial at Bedford Moravian in 1836 at age 75 confirms is birth year = 1761. Wife Mary's burial in 1832 at age 59 makes her born 1773 and that tallies nicely with a baptism at Riseley on 29/11/1772 daughter of William & Sarah Litchfield.

Riseley marriage transcript has entry dated 25/12/1745 just saying "John & Mary Peacock by banns" & a note says this also occurs in BTs (**). John & Mary baptised children at Bedford Moravian from 1749 to 1763. There are burials at Bedford Moravian of John Peacock on 4 Nov 1792 aged 74 (born 1718) & Mary Peacock on 24 Sep 1801 aged 80 (born 1721).  I am assuming these are Thomas's parents.

** just had a thought - wonder if this is John Peacock marrying Mary Peacock ?? Mary daughter of Thomas & Mary Peacock baptised 5/2/1723 ?? wonder what original register says ?

So looking for a John Peacock baptised Riseley around 1718 we have :---
20 Oct 1717 John son of John & Miriam Peacock
13 Nov 1719 John son of William & Mary Peacock - but he was buried 21 Jan 1721 - so they had replacement John baptised 2 Oct 1726

Now is this John Peacock (who married Miriam) the one baptised 2 Jun 1695 son of John & Elizabeth Peacock where John the father was a blacksmith as per his burial on 28 June 1731.

& then next is this the John son of William Peacock baptised 15 Apr 1660, where perhaps it is this William who was the blacksmith buried on 22 Jun 1707 aged 84 so born around 1623.

more questions than answers ??     

Clement - Croydon

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello every-one
             THATS .Gardener, JohnP-Bedford.Bedfordsireboy.and last.Steve,my thanks for all the posts whilst been out.its been a very tiring day.just finished cooking the meal.washed up.am doing this while waiting for the kettle to boil.need to relax.before taking in all the information posted. thanks also steve for the Moravian lnk.will look later tonight.thanks also about the tip on the muster book.posted by bedfordshire boy.need to carefully digest to see the correct order of my peacocks going backwards from VASTINE and Eliza mary VALENTINE.
 Just of intrest found these.
           MARY ANN PEACOCK .PROBATE DATE .2ND NOV 1885
                                           DEATH    DATE   6TH OCT  1885
                                 DEATH PLACE .MIDDLESEX.ENGLAND
     BELA
                 DIED 1908.BURY ST EDMUNDS.INTERRED SUFFOLK.
 AMY PEACOCK WHO MARRIED JOSEPH SHARMAN .
               PROBATE
                           17TH DEC 1952
                       DEATH 16TH FEB 1952
                     BEDFORDSHIRE.
                       BIRMINGHAM
         Then found.Frederick Gell who married Annie Peacock.father VASHNI PEACOCK.in 1889
                probate
        FREDERICK GELL. BORN 1867-MARCH 1956
                 PROBATE DATE 26TH SEPT 1956
                DEATH DATE  29TH JAN 1956 BEDFORDSHIRE
                   BIRMINGHAM
 of intrest is this a long gap before probate of frederick.also do you think it could be of intrest getting the information .would it tell me any information.
 still at present am more intrested in the search you are kindly doing for me.not read the posts yet .just a polite e-mail .at present to thank all.
                 mike
selby.yorkshire.
names.smith.hobman.lazenby.earl.abbey.walton.russell.to name a few.

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 00:09 GMT (UK) »
HELLO.
      Just got moment by myself.at last.eyes a bit tired.but had read of what post missed today. head is whirling around with all sorts of information.looks like can put corrrect details in soon from.
Vastine and Eliza mary valentine.will have to rub out .the wrong peacocks.and put in JOHN AND MARY.
 thank you for the baptisim list.when get some more ink.will print out .instead of keep scribbling away.iching to correct my mistakes.before sign off.the JOHANNES PEACOCK ENTRY.WHICH SAYS
FEMALE DIED.24TH NOV 1849.RISELEY.BURIAL.RISELEY.
 BATCH NUMBER 04852-3.SYSTEM ORIGAN ENGLAND EASY. GS FILM 1066949,REF ITEM 2 P 85
      FAMILY SEARCH.THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST LATTER SAINTS
           .Need to take my tablets.supposed to take 11.30.seems a bit late.was going to read about the moravain. link steve gave.will have to wait till tomorrow.or should say later today.
  thanks again
          mike

selby.yorkshire.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Anc * has National Probate Calendar with the entry Sept 1956 for Frederick Gell of Lodge Gates Riseley who died 29 Jan 1956 (aged 89) ....effects of £378.12s.8d to George Frederick Gell, labourer (his son born 1891).

Just for interest I have a tenuous link to Frederick Gell in my tree, baptised 20/5/1866, son of George Gell & Ann Barker, then George Gell born 1831 son of William Gell & Elizabeth Fairy. So now I can claim a bird link of my Partridges to your Peacocks.   

Probate entry for Amy Sharman, widow 0f 8 Gold Street, Riseley - died 16 Feb 1952, effects of £523.6s.4d to Edward Francis, blacksmith's striker.

Clement - Croydon

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 20 March 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello John
              Thank you ever so much.for the probate information.very good of you.thought sadly not heard or see any replies.all wonderful information had been used.the Gell family seemed to be woodmen think. did know the baker name.thats due to the wonderful Riseley information.not had chance to see if any more probate record around.it also nice to have a link with you.as mmakes all the effort .have done for me more meanfull.not had chance to read about the church yet.is there a site with the churchs of Riseley.wondered if to get any of where the peacocks worshipped and married.
 nearly finished the tea.so better sign off.sneak back later.when alls quite.
     thanks again
                  mike
selby.yorkshire.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 22 March 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »

I can't explain why the parents in the 1790s fluctuated between Thomas and Mary and Thomas and Ann. There's no burial of a Mary nor a marriage of Thomas to Ann. Perhaps she was Mary Ann! I don't think it was two couples.

Bedford library have the transcript of registers for Church of The United Brethren, Bedford covering period 1743 - 1857. The baptisms & burials were done mostly at Bedford & while there are marriages (but none contain Peacock) these all took place in the established church and would appear in appropriate parish register. The births/baptisms are all as extracted from IGI/Family Search & listed by David & the deaths/burials are all as per the NBI for the Bedford Moravian church.

However there are few differences & some extra info, the main one being that on 26 Jan 1832 the register has the burial of Ann Peacock age 59 married, died 22 Jan 1832 while the NBI says it is Mary Peacock?  On 7 Jan 1836 Thomas Peacock aged 75 widower, died 2 Jan 1836 Riseley. Before that we have Johannes Peacock buried 26 Nov 1816 aged 64, bachelor died 24/11/1816 Riseley. 
Clement - Croydon