Author Topic: Docherty  (Read 524 times)

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Docherty
« on: Monday 17 March 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to trace details about my ancestors but, because they were travellers, I am struggling to find details.

My great grandfather was John Docherty (20/11/1900 in Peebles - 07/10/1973 in Edinburgh). His parents were John Docherty (born roughly 1878 and died before 1956; presumably in Edinburgh) and Sarah Connolly (born roughly 1884 and died 06/12/1956 in Edinburgh). They were married on 16 January 1915 in Greenock.

I cannot trace any further back, and would appreciate any help and advice to find them. Also, if anyone has the same ancestors and has any information to share, I would be keen to hear from you!

I recall my grandad telling me that his family was related in some way to the Codonas (who managed travelling funfairs) but I don't know the connection.

I'd love to hear from anyone who could help. Thanks in advance for any advice whatsoever!

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Docherty
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi leemcm,

There is a Special Interest section on Rootschat, if you open up, you will find a section for Travelling People, where you may get lucky and get a response, I searched for Docherty in this section and found 2 results,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=570959.msg4234814#msg4234814

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=299597.msg3259229#msg3259229

Click on both then read the replies, they may help you. You may ask the moderator to move this to "Travelling People" section.

Good Luck.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.