Author Topic: The new Findmypast (Part 1)  (Read 47285 times)

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The new Findmypast (Part 1)
« on: Tuesday 18 March 14 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I got an e-mail this morning announcing the new Findmypast. I had a look at the new site and was disappointed to discover that I could not find how to search a particular English census for an address. The new site seems to emulate Ancestry chucking up numerous records of people with vaguely similar names to the target but has lost (well I could not find how) the ability to focus on a particular area/location which used to be so easy on the old site.
All the best
Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The new Findmypast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
According to FindMyPast there is a page headed 'Census, Land and Surveys' where you will find the option for addresses.

Haven't been moved over yet so not able to try it.

Susan

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
This was raised on FindMyPast's Facebook page on 10/03/14, according to the screen dump that FindMyPast posted on FB, it's below the "Other Household Member" section on the Census, Land & Surveys search page. 

Like msr, I've not been moved across yet.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline idontbelieveit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Well...I've just looked today and I agree what a disappointment and personally, a disgrace. Displays behave differently using Firefox and IE, "printing" a result translation can use many pages as there is a spacer line between each line printed (both IE and Firefox) especially in IE (a one-person print resulted in 3 pages - could be my IE?), the census image in IE is portrait whilst in Firefox it is landscape and how do you now save am image (used to be djvu file) and how do you get the enumerators list as was available in the 1911 Census?
Other subtle "money-earning" things i've noticed: Census search - you now can't get to use "where born" filter so all results displayed you have to wander through trying to find the "one", employment and "years married" is missing from the 1911 Census translation. Is this plot to make everyone be a full member?
I've given up now so not even tried the others census's yet. Birth, Marriage etc "seems" as-is.
Suffolk & Cambridgshire:- CLARK, CLARKE, EVERETT
Suffolk:- LING, SCARLETT, HART, CODD, PEPPER
Ireland, Scotland & USA:-McMAHON

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Nightmare, before 2clicks to get to where I need to go, now 12 clicks. What a total mess. I don't want to see results from things not within my subs. FMPast you were heads up on Ancestry in terms of search & now.......... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
FMPast you were heads up on Ancestry in terms of search & now..........   

Probably a photo finish now as Ancestry's "new search" is also causing problems
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
and how do you now save am image (used to be djvu file)

When viewing the image it gives the opportunity to download in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Just having a look at it now, I have been moved, but haven't as yet received a notification.

Cheers
KHP

ADDED:  I note that after you sign out, you can fill out the feedback survey ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dizzybella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been moved to the new search...and not impressed with it at all..to print a transcript page, it print on 2 pages..waste of paper..if you fit to print on 1 page, the text is so small you can not read it, and you have to click on each person to view there information, which is time wasting,  they have took the simplicity search, use away..i will not be renewing my subs, in fact I have hardly used the site, since i change over..i wonder if I can have a refund ?