Author Topic: The new Findmypast (Part 1)  (Read 47290 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: The new Findmypast
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 12:19 GMT (UK) »
'My records'  are showing as 1600 pages - It should be about 8 pages.  I cleared these records when they first introduced the My records feature and now it appears to be showing everything I have looked at since 2010.

I asked a question about this on their FB page as I wanted to know whether there was a quick way to search for a certain record rather than having to go through all the pages. The answer I got wasn't very helpful, they just said there wasn't at the moment, apart from the date I'd first looked at it, but they would put it forward as a suggestion. I can't see the point of having thousands of saved records if there is no way of finding one quickly - it's easier to look for it again. I'd like to be able to say which records I want to save, no point saving those that aren't connected to my tree. I also asked if there was a quick way to clear them - apparently not, but they will put forward the suggestion.  ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Nightmare, before 2clicks to get to where I need to go, now 12 clicks. What a total mess. I don't want to see results from things not within my subs. FMPast you were heads up on Ancestry in terms of search & now.......... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Goodness me. I thought that the Ancestry changes from old search were a backward step, but the Findmypast new search is a massive backward step in ease of use. Not only do you need more clicks to get to the right census (you even have to select country now) but the dropdown counties have gone so this has to be typed in (Worcestershire for example is 14 characters as opposed to 2 clicks).

I have just attempted to search the historic newspapers. I used a wild card thus - Walter Willi*ts - hoping results for Walter Willitts and Walter Willits. It gave me 600,000 results. It seemed to give me all the Walters and the then the wild card isn't just confined to one word, but after the first part of the surname, keeps looking through the text until it finds a ts which maybe pages of newspaper later. (same happens if you use the ? wildcard). The filtering to get the right year range, county etc. is even more long winded than the census record selection. And you can't put in your own range eg a small range of 1 or 2 years.

I'm all for change but this feels like something that was given to a bunch of new starters as a project. In practical terms it is tedious and very long winded.

I am normally grumpy but this has made me even more so.

Simon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I keep clicking onto the site with fear and trepidation but I still have the old site up.

Do you think they might have forgotten me  ???

I do hope that they get their parish records' searches sorted though - it would be nice to be able to put in spouse or parents' details rather than having to plough through a whole list -especially when it's a Jones.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I keep clicking onto the site with fear and trepidation but I still have the old site up.

So do I  :)

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:01 GMT (UK) »

So do I  :)

Mo

And me  :-\  although I read about folk who have problems with the new Ancestry but can't see what all the fuss is about.

We all moan about changes but in the end there's not a lot we can do except ask for help and then get on with it !
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
That may be true that we get used to things, but I have paid good money and as yet cannot even access the parish records that I know are on there because I have pulled them up before. It is coming up with '0' results for everything. Also someone said that you cannot see originals now without paying more,well I have just paid my subscription and do not want to pay more.]. Not happy at all.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Which PR's are you looking for Nooshie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
.  Also someone said that you cannot see originals now without paying more,well I have just paid my subscription and do not want to pay more.]. Not happy at all.

Could you see the originals before on the subscription level you are on? If so, you need to contact FindMyPast and complain, as you are not getting what you paid for and they have broken their side of the contract.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:53 GMT (UK) »
If its Plymouth
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yiy/

/////////////
I hope it works for you, I went through the link that I said does not take you straight there 

http://new.findmypast.co.uk/

You will need to complete the 'Who' & 'When' at the top of the page but ignore Where even if it does say World

Then go to Narrow your search results (left of page) -

tick Life Events (BMD's)

In Country select
England
England & Wales

In Record Collection select
Births & Baptisms
Deaths & Burials
Marriages & Divorces

In Record set
Plymouth Baptism Register
Plymouth Deaths & Burials