Author Topic: The new Findmypast (Part 1)  (Read 47289 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: The new Findmypast
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
What has happened to the crew lists?  All that shows up is Merchant Navy but that's not the same thing.

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
I am thinking of making a Freedom of Information request to Find My Past. It seems the quickest way of searching the site. ;D

Who designed this easy-to-use people finder? Lord Lucan?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
As for "My Records", I have 1201 pages with 20 images per page. ;D  Mind you I never have used the facility so that's why there are so many.

However, it's interesting to note I have no entries after 16 March until today.  And the vast majority of those showing for March are only the transcripts when I know I viewed the images.  So they've made a mess of that too. ::)  Be interesting to see if they bother to respond to my complaint about the missing previously viewed images that I noticed this morning.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
I've just checked "My records" - big gap between 21st March and today. Just contacted FindMyPast about it as well.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
On the old address search I could enter simply (for example) Lanchester (County Durham Registration District) or Iveston (village within that RD) and get a list of addresses appearing in any particular census.

Can someone explain to me, preferably in words of one syllable, how I can do that now?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested too!

Any one tried clicking on 'Getting started with the census' at bottom right of the Census page?

They can't even get their own links correct _

I get :

Sorry, we couldn't find the page you were looking for.

This is not a valid address on findmypast.co.uk.

If you have typed this address manually, please check it and try again. If you have clicked on a link to get here there might be problem with the link. We always record information automatically regarding errors like this and actively try to fix them.
What can I do now?

You can use the following links to go back or you can carry out a new search on the left.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
On the old address search I could enter simply (for example) Lanchester (County Durham Registration District) or Iveston (village within that RD) and get a list of addresses appearing in any particular census.

Can someone explain to me, preferably in words of one syllable, how I can do that now?
Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible. You are restricted to whatever the numerator put in the address on the census form. This is then presented to you as preset list of street or road names etc. You cannot put anything else like a village name or district.

The result of the search is just a list of names, not households.

Simon

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 18:50 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible. You are restricted to whatever the numerator put in the address on the census form. This is then presented to you as preset list of street or road names etc. You cannot put anything else like a village name or district.

The result of the search is just a list of names, not households.

That sounds like extremely bad news. I've emailed them asking for clarification, and asking not to be fobbed off by being directed to their FAQ's, but I somehow doubt I'll get a coherent answer.

Moderator Comment:
Topic locked (as it was getting so long) and continued here:

The new FindMyPast (Part 2)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk