Author Topic: cooper family /woolman family and /hartshorn family  (Read 13295 times)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cooper family /woolman family and /hartshorn family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 March 14 00:01 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi xin
i thank you so much for nice comment .
if you find any connection to mine  one come an d knock on my door and let me know wwould love to meet and relatives and ancesters of mums and dads .
many thanks
ste

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leicester born and bred, and proud of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 April 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
My late mum-in-law recalled having some cousins by the name of Hartshorn who farmed in Hungarton, just a mile or two from Thurmaston - it's quite possible they may be linked to your family in some way. There is a Hartshorn Close in Thurmaston, too, which I suspect may be named after a branch of that family.
Smith (Kettering/Northants); Hill; Mackness; Chapman
Giddings; Pridmore; Salsbury.

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 April 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)
Hi jaxyfone
thanks for coming back to me on this if she would like to speak to me at any time .im in markfield  lane newtown linford under the woolman name  just ask for steve
morning or afternoon  .me and my mums cousion  are doing both  families  cooper markfield  and geary .woolman side come from turlangton leicester  and hartshorn  and pryor come from barkby  sarah pryor  married john william deacon born 1877 checkkets road leicester  they constance lily deacon .who become cooper when she married my grandad cooper  mum was born 1941 markfield lane newtown linford ,her mum passedaway so she moved in with my aunt amy cooper who lived in markfield village  until she married in 1960  into the woolman family  from his father  and mother  her proper name was vera elizabeth  page born whitwick  1913 she has since passedaway and my grandfather  .before she married her family  cmae from ruddington notts  his side of the family came from county sligo in irelnd  ,the page sdie married into windebank family Hugglescote  they married into the chapman family here so its gone round in a circle ,but in those days there only farming  quarrying .mining  so all the famlys knew each other  and were bound to marry some times .my mums father he worked as  a master green grocer  a quarryman and miner .mum worked in palitoy in coalville which as since gone she does upholstery now .
thanks
Danone

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 April 14 12:34 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi jaxy fone
is there a maiden name for your late mother in law so i may be able to find her in my work .
thanks
Danone
my hartshorn was jane  she married  john pryor

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 April 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Sadly she died a few years ago, but I do remember every time we drove out near the farm (somewhere near the Black Boy pub at Hungarton) she'd tell me about her cousin who went to live there but whom she hadn't seen for years. When we first moved to Thurmaston we lived opposite Hartshorn Close and she remarked then that it might have been named for, quote, "my cousin's family, because they were quite prominent". I will ask my husband, because I think he has memory of visiting the farm as a small boy, but it's likely to be a very feint one.

It's not a side of my husband's family that we've researched much of at the moment, but mother in law's family were linked to the Salsburys/Salisburys and Loves of Oakham, and the Pridmores of Leicester, just in case you come across those names in the meantime.

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 April 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi again
thanks for sending some more 
what i will do is contact mums cousion she lives in leicester  i have her email as well as address and phone number  i will give her what you have sent me she should be able to work with on this as the hartshorn  family are from our family side i do have some pictures of jane with her children also have a photo of her and johns headstone .jane was a house servant for a farmer  out in sileby  which i have to go and have a look in the record office soon .sileby came under rutland then.i love oakham my self some times come shopping there , and go to the church for tea that faces the car park
Danone

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 April 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
I have just spoken to my husband. He thinks his(female) relative was a Hartshorn who married into the family that owned the farm. The last he knew the farm was still in the same family. He can't remember his relative's first name, though.

I have located the actual farm for you. It's Village Farm, on Baggrave Road, opposite Coal Baulk. The OS reference is SJ 685 075. OH says he can remember one of the houses being built for one of the farm staff in the 1950s/60s - as you'll see if you look on Google earth, the houses are relatively new.

Thurmaston does have a heritage group - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tmi45/ - whose members may be able to tell you more about the family. I notice their 'Families' page has four Hartshorns listed.

I'd be interested to know your findings.

As an afterthought, are you aware that there is a Woolman family who were very prominent Leicester Quakers, back in the day? John Woolman is very well documented, I believe.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 April 14 15:09 BST (UK) »
Wow   - thanks for that link.  It shows Herbert Hartshorn a wonderful man, although he was not related by blood, he was my Step Grandfather and a really really lovely man.  Bless him.

xin

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 April 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi jaxifone
my mums cousion as asked me to leave her email with you .
glenlee@10sky .com
she will get back to   you as soon as she can .
Danone