Author Topic: Help with birth place in Nottingham  (Read 7051 times)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with birth place in Nottingham
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello:
I really would appreciate any help with trying to find the birth place of John Hardwick born in Nottingham around 1818.

On the 1871 census John's states his place of birth as Greasley, Notts.  But I have check the parish records - no birth for him there.

I have just found him on the 1861 census and it states Beverlee, Notts.

Found John's brother Samuel on the census with place of birth listed a Beggerlea, Nott.

To make things more confusing I found another brother James on the IGI with christening place listed as Bevelle, Greasley, Nott.

Does any one have any idea where this place could be?   I really would like to know so I could find the birth record for John as he is my 4xgrgrandfather.

Thank you very much for any help this.

Regards
Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with birth place in Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may have seen this before, but just in case,

Here is a link to the parishes in Nottingahmshire,

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/parishes.html

Maybe browsing through some of the places will give you a better idea of where to search next.

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue:
thanks I will check it out tonight.  I must say this family research sure makes you use your brain !!

Thanks
Anne
Canada

Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline Woodhj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Beggarlee and Beauvale are both parts of the parish of Greasley in Nottinghamshire.  I suggest you widen your search a little and also check out the parish records of Eastwood, which is the town next door.

kind regards

Howard

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 05 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi. Please excuse me if I tell you something you already know....
the link below will take you to a site where you can see what parish records are available on the IGI for Greasley. If you click on one of the blue numbers and type in Hardwick you can get all the entries for that name at Greasley - most seem to be siblings to James but John is not there as you know. These entries are from Bishop Transcripts rather than Parish Records.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyNottingham.htm#G

The following link http://www.genealogy-links.co.uk/html/ntt.lookup.html has a lookup service offered for Greasley and that covers more years than the IGI, and I suspect that it will be from parish records though I am not sure. I suggest that you ask for a lookup there and see if that helps. The IGI coverage doesn't seem to be very good but as several of the other children are there I think that is the best place to start looking for John.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Howard and Gardener for the information I will check everything out. Hopefully  I will find the birth record for John.

Thanks again

Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 05 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

As you mention a Samuel, I take it that your John's parents were John and Lettice?

There are several records in the IGI for children of theirs - entries formally extracted from Church Registers under the controlled extraction program of the LDS, and also entries which are submissions by members of the LDS (the latter need to be treated with great care).

I notice that two of the extracted records are for baptisms in the Primitive Methodist Church; they mention birth dates also and these are quite some time (in one case a very long time) before the baptismal date.

It may well be that your John was not baptised at all, or was baptised in a church the records of which have not survived or have not been indexed into the online IGI.  I notice from the Family History Library Catalogue on FamilySearch that the records they hold of the Beggarlee Primitive Methodist church extend only from 1827-1837; and the Ilkeston Circuit begins in 1823.

So it may well be that you won't find a birth or baptism record for John - but at least you have his age and birthplace from census information!

Extracted Entries in the IGI
John HARDWICK m Lettice SAXTEN 12 Apr 1812, Greasley Notts
- Violet HARDWICK(E) b 9 Jun 1813, bap 9 Jan 1832 Beaverlee Schoolroom Primitive Methodist, Beggarlee, Notts; also an entry with same dates for Primitive Methodist Ilkeston Circuit, Derbyshire
- Mary HARDWICK bap 14 Jan 1816 Greasley Notts
- Josh. HARDWICK bap 4 Nov 1816 Greasley Notts
- Samuel HARDWICK bap 27 Jul 1823 Greasley Notts
- William HARDWICK bap 5 Feb 1826 Greasley Notts
- Thomas HARDWICKE b 23 Oct 1828, bap 10 Jan 1832 Beaverlee Schoolroom Primitive Methodist, Beggarlee, Notts; also an entry with same dates for Primitive Methodist, Ilkeston Circuit, Derbyshire

Submissions by members of the LDS - treat with great care
- James HARDWICK or SAXTON bap 22 Mar 1812, Greasley Notts; also listed as just James HARDWICK
- Francis HARDWICK bap 1821 Greasley Notts
- Samuel HARDWICK b 1825 Notts; also an entry as bap 1859 Eckington, Derbyshire (note extracted entry above)
- Thomas HARDWICK b 1830 Notts (note extracted entry above)
- Thirza or Thurza HARDWICK bap 8 May 1831 Greasley Notts; also listed with same date as Prim, Methodists, Ilkeston, Derby
- Jacob HARDWICK b 1838 Notts; also an entry as bap 1839 Attercliffe Yorks

You will have noticed John (70, a Coal Miner) and Lettice (68) in Eckington, Derbyshire in the 1861; other heads of households in the same place include your John (42, a Coal Miner), Samuel (37, a Coal Miner) and Thomas (32, a Coal Miner).

And there are LDS submissions (and the occasional extracted entry) in the IGI which take John and Lettice further back.

JAP

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 05 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Jap:

Thank you for the information. Yes, John's parents are John and Lettice Hardwick. After spending yesterday and today searching for John (jr) baptism or birth record. I had starting think like you that I may never find a record for him. But at least I know who his parents are as John's daughter Emma with her grandparents on the 1861 census and John named a daughter Lettice same name as his mother.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.  Now I am going to start tracing the line back.  I am hoping to go to Salt Lake city in Sept or Oct. so will follow up on the submissions.

Regards
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 June 05 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Jap:
I find it very interesting that Violet and Thomas were baptised in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire on the same day? Any ideas why?   As I don't have any ideas.

Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss