Author Topic: Request: Richard McCarthy - Makaraka Cemetery Gisborne  (Read 5704 times)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Richard McCarthy - Makaraka Cemetery Gisborne
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 April 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Photos sent

Cheers Janette

Offline proteanz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 June 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
According to the Makaraka Cemetery 'Bible' (the name I call the book as it has so much info in it about that cemetery), in Plot 701, Map G, the following is in the book

Burial records show  Richard McCARTHY, 20 O ct 1920 58 yrs, Roman Catholic
John Henry McCARTHY 16 Jan 1946 38 yrs, Bushmere.
Marjorie Mary McCARTHY, 16 jan 1962 87 yrs, Makauri, Roman Catholic, widow.

Although a lot of the headstones are missing, but we have records of those, and this grave never had a headstone on it according to the records.

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 July 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,hope someone might read this even though it’s nearly ten years since the last posting.
I’m also related to those in Mahounagh (sp?)
My great aunt Mary Anne Bohane born about 1862 married and moved there. It’s across the River Ilen in Skibbereen near where she was born. There are reports of the Civil War and War for Independence in the Dublin Records including reference to the burning of the house. It’s dreadful to read the memory of Kitty Driscoll who talks about having to hide their furniture and clothing up in the hills to avoid them being destroyed.🤬
I’m linked to the McCarthys and O’Driscolls….somehow !
Just returned from Ireland with new bits of info. The more I find the more complicated a web             I weave !

Offline proteanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 July 23 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, There are the following McCarthy folks buried at Makaraka Cemetery:
John, aged 45 in Old Section,Plot 89,died 6 July 1881
Julia M. aged 8 months, Block A, Plot 35, died 5 November 1909
Richard, aged 58 years, Block G, Plot 701, died 20 October 1920
John Henry, aged 38 years,  same plot as above, died 11 June 1946
Marjorie Mary, aged 87 years  same plot as above, died 16 January 1962

No O'Driscolls.

Cheers, Dot McCulloch.  Direct email (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 July 23 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,hope someone might read this even though it’s nearly ten years since the last posting.
I’m also related to those in Mahounagh (sp?)
My great aunt Mary Anne Bohane born about 1862 married and moved there. It’s across the River Ilen in Skibbereen near where she was born. There are reports of the Civil War and War for Independence in the Dublin Records including reference to the burning of the house. It’s dreadful to read the memory of Kitty Driscoll who talks about having to hide their furniture and clothing up in the hills to avoid them being destroyed.🤬
I’m linked to the McCarthys and O’Driscolls….somehow !
Just returned from Ireland with new bits of info. The more I find the more complicated a web             I weave !

Hi, Miggs191.

I'm a direct descendent from the McCarthy's of Mohonagh. My great grandfather Jack McCarthy had his house burned down by the Auxiliaries during the war of Independence and 'went on the run'. This might be the incident that you are referencing.

My great grandmother (Jack's wife, Honoria) was also a Bohane and Jack's mother was a Driscoll. There is also a Bohane connection in an earlier generation as the neighbouring farmer (an Owen McCarthy) in the time of the Griffith's Valuation was also married to a Bridget Bohane and although I have no evidence about Owen McCarthy's relation to my ggg grandfather Michael McCarthy (born 1807 or something) other than a murder trial from the 1865s where both are witnesses and the newspaper article says that they are brothers and related to the accused (a Driscoll).

Why I was asking about this family here, is that Richard McCarthy below is my great great uncle and he left for Australia where he apparently was successful in the Gold Rush. Later he moved and settled down in New Zealand. I know he had a daughter and a son (the young death of whom is something I wonder about) but there is another event related to the burning of the house.

The War of independence in Cork was rather bitter at times. There was an alleged incident where a man called Lynch shot dead a Driscoll when the Mohonagh Division of the IRA by accident. This was all hushed up and Lynch immediately fled the country for New Zealand, apparently to go out to his relative; Richard McCarthy. The Driscoll is buried in the old Abbey graveyard with a huge IRA volunteer headstone. I believe when this happened, he was buried in secret and when the treaty was signed; he was buried in great fanfare. Tom Barry talks about this incident in his book about the war of independence.

If you want to discuss this, we should go elsewhere. I can message you directly with my email address

Offline proteanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 July 23 16:15 BST (UK) »
I sent you m,my email address but will again:   (*)

As you have probably figured out - Gisborne is the most eastern city in Gisborne and is actually the first city in the world to see the new day with the international date line out there in the ocean.  That is why the yer 2000 celebrations started here.   Mt Hikurangi up the coast is reputed to be the first to get the sun.

I am not researching one person in the cemetery, but we have done two books on the lives of folk buried there, and book 3 is in the offing.

Every little bit helps as the Council budget for a closed cemetery covers lawns and occasional other things, and the funds we raise from selling the books are enabling us to do things like signage, a seat, some replacement trees and things like that.

Cheers   Dot McCulloch

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 July 23 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Dot.

If not familiar with the Rootschat PRIVATE MESSAGING system there are two ways you can access that system.

I have made up an illustration of the steps for you.

Alan.

OOPS grabbed your profile as an illustration, not your intended recipient.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lamahorse,
Very interested in your post.
I’ll need to look through my research but I’ll get back to you.
If you think your family are from the South West around Skibbereen, have you used The Skibbereen Heritage Centre ?
Every year I “ go home”. I wasn’t born in Ireland but my Mother was. I have more family there than in the UK. I research during the year and then make appointments with the Heritage Centre to see if my research is possibly correct.
I know they are in touch by e Mail also.
I’ll get back to you. Thank you for contacting . Miggs

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Many thanks for sending that guide to help Dot, I was posting on my phone so wasn't able to.

Kind regards,

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL