Author Topic: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?
« on: Wednesday 19 March 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a small painting of Venice which belonged to my parents. It shows several fishing boats with orange/brown sails and also small steamboats/lighters with small cargoes. There are several smoke stacks with smoke pouring out over St. Mark's Square in the distance. I think it's original on board not just a print/copy.

The artist's signature is something like "Riccissione.." but it's not clear. What is lovely is that the "R" is quite stylised, with the down strokes coming down below the other characters and thickening as they do so.

I am attempting to download a photo from my phone but am having trouble at the moment. ::)

I've searched on Google but not come up with any artist who might fit the painting. I know it's not a Turner! ;) but just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy  the only one that springs to mind is Ron DiCianni.
Shame we can't see it  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol for that suggestion.

OH is working on my mobile photos but he seems to have lost some. ;)

Maybe I'll take one on my digital camera tomorrow instead. ;)

More to follow.

Judy ;)
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 14 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Judy, maybe a close-up of the signature would be more useful rather than the whole painting.

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 14 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Not Ron DiCianni, he is still alive living in California with his wife Pat. Not sure of his birth date but he would only have been a baby in 1920 if alive then.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy....There is a place name called Riccione in Italy...see here:

http://www.gctinning.com/war-years/riccione-1944-16x-24-in-39x-57-cm/

If you google images for Riccione you may find one similar to yours.

A similar query here with image of painting:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3176

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 March 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Thanks for additional comments Jane, John and Carol. Been a bit busy today so haven't had time to take photos.

The painting is definitely Venice with that tall tower in the background. St. Mark's/Doge's Palace??

The signatue looks more like Rissio......i

I will do my best to download a pic soon. I'm out tomorrow at a painting workshop but watch this space. ;)
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 March 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I've looked in loads of modern reference looking for a similar name, of that vintage, and not found anyone who seems a shoe-in. You must know that it could be by an amateur - that doesn't make it any less of a painting, or any less good - and that would mean you've very little chance of tracing it.

There are what seem like squillions of artists - of varying qualities - who have produced shedloads of paintings of Venice, and believe me, many of the "professional" efforts would make you weep! Almost all seem to include the campanile in St Mark's square ( unless they are of the rialto bridge!) so the subject won't narrow it down a lot, sadly.
I think "Riccione" the place, isn't all that far from Venice.
Don't worry if you can't decipher the signature. Enjoy it.
If you're doing painting workshops at present, perhaps the next idea might be to go to Venice, take your paints, try to identify the viewpoint either on the spot or using something like Googlearth or the Venice connected camera tours,  and then do your own modern version of the same scene! Could be a splendid holiday souvenir. But be warned, even Canaletto, Guardi and Turner "moved" bits of buildings round to suit the composition they wanted. It might not be very easy to pinpoint the exact spot from the 1920s.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 March 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
? Lorenzo Rizzi? worked in Venice in 1920s
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)