Author Topic: Percy Oswald Vester  (Read 2641 times)

Online EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Percy Oswald Vester
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Percy was born 1908 Ontario Canada and died 1964 Sheffield Lake Ohio. In 1930 he is living in Avon Lake Lorain Ohio and shown as single. In 1940 still living in Avon lake and shown as widowed but his death cert states he was divorced. The problem is that I can find no marriage for him. Being a sailor on the Gt Lakes I guess it could have occurred just abt anywhere. The only lead that I can find is familysearch have a death 2 Sep 1935 Snake Creek Monroe Florida for a Dorothy Burkhart Vester age 11 mths whose parents were Percy Vester born Canada and Bertha Burkhart born New Jersey.
I had a look for a Bertha Burkhart/Burkhardt and Dorothy birth but with no success
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Oswald Vester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Also on FamilySearch, there is a death record for Marie Ann Vester in 1948, whose father is Percy Oswald Vester and mother Marie Margaret Mayer.  In the SSDI, there's a Marie Vester who died in 1988 and whose last residence was Lorain Co., OH.  Marie may have been Percy's second wife.

I don't know what the laws are in Ohio re divorce records, but if you can get a copy of their divorce record, it will probably indicate where and when they were married.

Since it seems that Percy used Lorain Co. as his home base, you might also try checking with the local library, newspaper or genealogical society to see if you can find an obituary or death notice for his first wife.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 14:05 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry for Marie Mayer Vester on the obituary index here - http://index.rbhayes.org/hayes/index/record_detail.asp?id=1794463  The Ohio death index indicates that she was a widow.

I see some early 1950's Ohio newspaper references to Mrs. Percy Vester attending parties, etc.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 14:54 GMT (UK) »
In the Elyria Chronicle Telegram from 15 May 1969, there is an entry for a marriage license given to Marie M. Vester, age 58, of 528 Main Ave., Lorain, a barmaid, and a man with the surname Jones (I'm not sure if he's still living, so I'll leave it at that for now.)

Online EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sbny357 and shellyesq

So it appears that Percy may have been married twice. First time 1930-35 and second time 1940-47 with neither location known and little info available re either bride. The first wife appears to have died prior to 1940 and the second marriage ended in divorce. Appears that he fathered two children who died prior to first birthday. There certainly is a lack of info available online.
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I found Marie Vester's obituary.  It says she was predeceased by her husband Percy, son Ronald Cimperman, and daughter Marie Vester.  She was survived by a daughter, a brother, 5 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.  No mention of the possible marriage to Mr. Jones.

Online EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 14 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Well a little bit of headway with your obit info. In 1940 Avon Lake Lorain Ohio James Cimperman with Marie and Ronald. From that I found marriage 16 Jul 1932 Cuyahoga Ohio Jack Cimperman and Marie Meyer. Parents of Marie were Gabriel Meyer and Mae Cotten(?).

Added - Marie's parents married 1908 Cuyahoga Co and family living in Cleveland in 1920. Good chance that Marie born at least Cuyahoga  and quite possibly Cleveland. Haven't found them on 1910 yet.
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 March 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it, there's an obituary for Percy on the Cleveland Necrology File -
http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/Authorize?sessionid=0&next=/html/obit_start.html&dbchoice=1:dbname=necr&bad=html/authofail.html&style=noframe 
It mentions a daughter who was apparently born in Ohio in 1944.

Online EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 14 18:57 GMT (UK) »
That is another surprise. A daughter and grandchild. I assume that
(*) is the mother of the grandchild. I had a look for a
(*)with no luck. How did you determine that she was born in 1944?

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire