Author Topic: FamilySearch won't let me in!!!  (Read 3183 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
FamilySearch won't let me in!!!
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:28 GMT (UK) »
This is new today - was working fine yesterday.

I tried to get into Family Search just now and the usual starter screen comes up okay but has the following message in a band across the top of the page:

"Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser." The last 3 words are in a box which I presumed they wanted me to click on, but I did and nothing happened!

Has anyone else experienced this strange event? I tried using the site on Firefox and it works but I don't like using Firefox because I find it very difficult to navigate. I'm on IE - can't remember which version!

I do so wish these people would stop 'improving' things and making everything so much more complicated!

Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom or have I lost Family Search from my preferred browser?

(please use words of one syllable when replying - as you may have gathered I'm no expert. I know how to use what I use - and that's about it!)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search won't let me in!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
This LDS problem is addressed here http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17015#
"Most likely you are running IE in "compatibility mode" which makes it behave like an older version of IE."
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like you are using an older version of IE that's no longer supported. You can find out on this page, and also download the latest version.It also tells you how to turn on automatic updates if you want to do that.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/which-version-am-i-using#ie=other
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both.

How do I find out what version of IE I am currently using? I know its probably a basic question - but I have no idea how to find out!

Kate, I have checked, and I am already supposed to be receiving automatic updates, though I must admit to often telling them to go away if I'm in the middle of something! I have come to the conclusion that I will have to update to the latest version - but does updating the actual version not come under 'automatic updates'?

In the meantime, Stan, I have changed the blue 'torn page' to a grey one and, although I still get the same message on the Family Search screen, it will at least allow me to by pass it. Before, it wasn't allowing me to do anything.

So, for now - hopefully - I can use FS but I suppose I shall have to sort out this 'which version of IE am I using' conundrum! Sometimes, I hate computers!

Jill (aka The Luddite!  ;D)

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Click on Help, Then About Internet Explorer, this will show you the version. The latest version is 11
Stan

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I'm on Version 8 then! Do the automatic updates not automatically update the version you are using?

Its a minefield....
HELP!!!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
If you have the Install new versions automatically box ticked it should update automatically to the latest version.

Stan

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Depends also on which version of windows running on your computer.
IE 9 last version for windows Vista whilst windows 7 can use 10 and 11. (I don't use windows 8)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 March 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian.

I'm on Vista so I'm only one behind on my IE - I'm on 8 and presumably should be on 9.

Jill
HELP!!!