Author Topic: St Nicholas Church ,Catholic Marriages.  (Read 4724 times)

Offline M4CKA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Nicholas Church ,Catholic Marriages.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've been primarily researching the Gasparro's and Savino's for 2 years now. I just wanted to leave some information here for anyone who is still interested. The Mary Rose Gaspano that Dathai mentions is Maria Rosa Gasparro. She was born 21/1/1883 at 17 Patrick Street, Dún Laoghaire. She had 3 brothers by the names of Francis, Nicholas and Prosper. Prosper died as an infant and shortly after his mother Mary Ellen Murphy died. Tara was correct, Maria Rosa's father remarried Anne Redmond in 1892. Maria's father was Anthony Gasparro born 4/5/1859 and he was one of 5 children born in Marsicovetere, Italy. He and his two older brothers by the names of Francis and Nicholas, travelled to Ireland in their teens. There are a few prison records for Francis and Nicholas which were discussed in the messages above. They formed a band called the Gasparro Brothers which they performed all across Ireland in. According to newspapers, Francis was the leader of the band. Their birth names were Francesco Gasparro (16/12/1853), Nicola Gasparro (8/10/1856) and Angeloantonio Gasparro (4/5/1859). As I mentioned, there were 5 children. Their 2 other siblings were Maria Cristina Gasparro born 2/3/1851 and Agostino Gasparro born 23/7/1862. Agostino died young in 1867, whilst Maria Cristina stayed in Marsicovetere and married Francesco Maria Ernesto Logiovine. As far as I'm aware, she had two daughters. One died as an infant (Maria Caterina Logiovine) and I don't know what happened to the other (Maria Rosa Concetta Logiovine). The Gasparro Bros were the sons of Prospero Gasparro born 4/11/1817 and Maria Rosa Briglia born January 1823. Prospero married three times and even continued to have children with his other wife in his 70s!!! So yes, technically there are more than just the 5 siblings I already mentioned. The only one I know of so far is Mariantonia Gasparro born March 1886 to Prospero Gasparro and Maria Rosa Zottarielli born 1853. I have multiple trees on multiple sites so if you need any more information just reply here or try and look for my public trees. Now onto the Savino's, The Giuseppe/Joseph Savino Dathai mentions was from the same town as his father-in-law (Marsicovetere) believe it or not and I'm guessing this influenced his marriage with Mary Rose Gasparro. He was born 15/3/1878 at Via Santa Venere, 3. His aunt Maria Rosa Savino who also immigrated to Ireland, Lived next door at Via Santa Venere, 4. He and Mary Rose Gasparro had 4 children. Francis Joseph Savino, Joseph Aloysius Savino, Vincent Bernard Savino and Michael Gerard Savino. I descend from Francis Joseph who was known as Frank, I know that the vast majority of Joseph Aloysius's descendants live in South Africa, Vincent Bernard had 3 children in his 40s and 50s and I believe his descendants live in Canada, Ireland and the UK. I'm not sure anyone knows what happened to Michael Gerard or whether he had children. I think I saw something about his descendants living in Florida and the USA but I'm not 100% sure. Most likely Vincent Bernard's children will know. Giuseppe's father was never listed on his birth certificate and there was never a marriage record for his mother. His mother was Maria Filomena Savino born 11/12/1852 and she was the daughter of Francesco Savino born abt.1813 and Violanda Fratantuono born 1815. I've seen Violanda mentioned on Roots chat on multiple different posts as "Yolanda Frantonia". I do believe Yolanda is some sort of family nickname as there are still living Savino descendants today that bear the name Yolanda. However, Frantonia is an incorrect spelling of Fratantuono. Maria Filomena had 4+ siblings, the ones I know of are Mariantonia Savino born 6/7/1839, Teresa Savino born 21/3/1843, Michele Antonio Savino born 8/6/1845 and Maria Rosa Savino born 27 Dec 1847. At first, it was very confusing because Giuseppe said that his father was a Giuseppe Savino on his marriage record. I'm still not sure why he did this but let me tell you that during the period of which he was born, fathers were not allowed to name their children after themselves in Marsicovetere. I also noticed that Mary Rose Gasparro said her uncle Francis was her father on their marriage record. I'm not sure why they both wrote the wrong father's but I guess we'll never know. I've done much more research on the Gasparro's than the Savino's as it was a lot easier but it's much more info than I had this time last year so I am very happy. I am still currently trying to find Giuseppe's father through DNA so I would urge any descendants to try and test as many people (Especially people that are of a higher generation than yourself) and maybe we will find out one day. There is absolutely no record out there that will help us find him, it's only down to DNA testing now. Hopefully, this helped someone and as I said, there is more info out there but it's on public trees of mine on various different sites so feel free to have a look and also feel free to ask questions here.

Thank You
Joey