Author Topic: Broughton Castle secret room  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Jean Mayo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Broughton Castle secret room
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 03:31 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who lives near Broughton Castle not far from Banbury and North Newington in Oxfordshire who can take a picture of the secret room at the top of the castle where my ancestor, Rev. John Mayo, used to attend secret Puritan meetings with Lord Saye and Sele? I know that the castle is open to visitors at various times. I've seen pictures of the inside and the outside of the castle...but none of the secret room at the top of the castle which the present Lord Saye and Sele of the castle admits does exist. Can anyone help me with this?
             Jean Mayo

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Castle secret room
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean ...

I live (fairly) close to Banbury, and was just saying the other day that I wanted to visit Broughton Castle around now, mainly to see the rose gardens. 

If I get there (no promises!), I'll do my best for you - assuming that the room is open to the public and that photography is allowed!

Can you give me some more information on exactly what I'm looking for ...

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again ...

I've just had a look at the Broughton Castle website - is this the room you mean?

"This small room at the top of the west stairs is traditionally the meeting place of those who gathered in the years l629 - 1640 to plan their opposition to the King's government.  They met under pretext as members of the Providence Island Company formed to colonise certain islands in the Caribbean.  Among those who attended were: Pym, Hampden, St John, Lord Warwick, Lord Brooke, Sir Henry Vane together with their hosts William and his son, Nathaniel."

Pennie

Offline Jean Mayo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennie,
   I've been in touch with the people of the castle( the Fiennes and their representatives ) before by e-mail. The Fiennes are the present Lord Saye and Sele of the castle and have been for centuries. They allow tours of the inside and outside of the castle periodically by the public. They have a web site that you can access that shows the outside grounds of the castle and several rooms inside of the castle. When I talked to them by e-mail, they did indeed confirm that there was a secret room at the top of the castle that was used for secret Puritan meetings during the 1630's. They are definitely aware of the room. Since they have posted many pictures of the rooms inside the castle, I don't think there would be a problem in photographing the secret room at the top of the castle as well. If you ever indeed make it to the castle and are able to photograph the secret room for me, I would be extremely appreciative of your efforts, as well as other Mayo researchers would be  on this side of the Atlantic! Have a great day!
              Jean Mayo.

Offline Jean Mayo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:47 BST (UK) »
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the same room!

Offline Jean Mayo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:54 BST (UK) »
Pennie,
   They must have added this information to the site since I looked at it a year or so ago. Did they show a photo of the secret room? I corresponded with the present Lord Saye and Sele of the castle about the room, and they must have added the information to the site since then.
             Jean Mayo.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

No photo on the website.  It's referred to as the "Council Chamber" and is on the "King's Chamber" page.

I'll do my best (if no photos allowed, it may be included in the guide book!).

We're off on holiday in a couple of weeks (and pretty busy up till then!), but will try and get over.  If time runs out, I'm afraid it probably won't be till mid August.

Will be in touch ...

Pennie

Offline Jean Mayo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 05 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pennie. I appreciate it! Have a great day!
           Jean Mayo.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean ...

Just thought I would drop you a line to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you!

Unfortunately, did not get a chance to go before our holidays (and have been very busy since we got back), but as opening times are running out I have an "appointment" written on my calendar for either the last Wednesday this month, or first next month.

If there is any suitable photo/information in the guidebook I could buy you a copy and send it - would you be happy to let me have your address if necessary?

Incidentally, spent a very enjoyable couple of hours yesterday evening watching "Shakespeare in Love" (with Joseph Fiennes and Gwyneth Paltrow) - did you realise that a lot of it was filmed at Broughton Castle (Viola de Lesseps' home) - and what about that Fiennes connection???

Will be in touch ...

Pennie