Author Topic: Broughton Castle secret room  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Jean Mayo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Castle secret room
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 August 05 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennie,
   If you do indeed make it to the castle during opening times, that would be great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to take a picture of the secret room or that they will have a photo of it already available...I wish they would include it on their Broughton Castle site. The pictures they already have on the site are beautiful. Also, there is a hall or room where there are paintings of the various Lord Saye and Sele's of the castle...the one connected to the secret room, William Fiennes, I believe died in the early 1640's...off the top of my head. Maybe they'll let you photograph that?? I know...I'm pushing it! And he is buried in the little church yard next to the tiny church on the grounds of the castle.
    I corresponded with the current Lord Saye and Sele's secretary and she discussed me and Rev. John Mayo with him. He went through his papers looking for a Mayo/Fiennes connection, but was unable to locate one. But I've found a connection between them on this side of the Atlantic...and also to some of the persons that you mentioned earlier connected to the secret room. They invited me to the castle and to meet with the current Lord Saye and Sele who lives there. Perhaps if you mention my name, there will be a possibility that he will remember me? He knows I'm crazed about getting a picture of the secret room, but all he did was invite me to come and see the secret room for myself...which I probably will at some point in my life.
    Yes...I've seen " Shakespeare in Love ", knowing that it was made at Broughton Castle. ANYWAY....any help that you could give me would be very much appreciated, and please let me pay for your film or the guide book or whatever. I'll be happy to give you my address by e-mail. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this side of the Pond! Thanks again for your kindness!
                   Jean Mayo.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Castle secret room
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean ...

Just to let you know that we visited Broughton Castle this afternoon - I have two dozen photos (borrowed my daughter's digital camera, so I can send them by email!) and a guidebook for you.

Briefly, the "secret room" is a small room - about 15 ft square - at the top of a series of narrow oak stairs.  It has a (relatively) low ceiling - approx. 7 or 8 ft high - and the walls and ceiling are of plain plaster painted in a very pastel blue/green.  It has a small stone fireplace, and is furnished with simple oak furniture, with windows on three sides.  There is no photo in the guidebook, but photography inside the house was allowed, so I have some pictures for you.

If you would like to send me a private message through this website with your personal email address and postal address, I can set about getting the photos and book to you.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.