Author Topic: CASSIDY family on Jersey early 19th Cent.  (Read 3843 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
CASSIDY family on Jersey early 19th Cent.
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 06:15 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about the parents of Rosetta CASSIDY who was born and christened in St Helier, Jersey in Nov 1831.  Rosetta married my g-g-grandfather Arthur LANGWORTHY in St Helier in 1857.  According to the IGI, Rosetta's parents were Thomas CASSIDY and Catherine LENNON or SIMMONS (I assume the transcriber was unsure of the name).

I have been unable to find Thomas, Catherine or Rosetta on the 1841 census (the online version) and there is no further mention of them, except for Rosetta's marriage, on the IGI.  I did find Thomas on the 1815 Muster roll (which is online at http://user.itl.net/~picus/names/donlist.htm), and wrote off to the Jersey Heritage Trust for more information - here is the response:

I have conducted a preliminary search and was unable to find any further information in the following sources:

1841 Census - St Helier

St Helier Baptisms 1773 - 1789

St Helier Marriages 1795 - 1824

St Helier Burials 1786 - 1822

I checked General Don's Muster and as well as the information you gave me it also listed that Thomas Cassidy had 1 woman, 1 boy and 1 girl in his household.

I thought that perhaps if the Thomas CASSIDY named in the muster wasn't "my" Thomas, it might be my Thomas's father, and my Thomas could be the boy in his household. It is still 16 years until Rosetta's birth, and even if Thomas was too young for the muster, he could still have been 13 or 14 in 1815 and therefore could easily be Rosetta's father.

Can anyone suggest a way to progress with this search?  Do I need to pay for the Jersey Historical Trust to search further through the parish records for me?  Does anyone have information that might help?  I was frustrated to find no trace of any Cassidys on the 1841 census - I even searched for just "Rosetta" but no luck!!

Grateful for any advice!!   ???
Thanks in advance

Prue

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Re: CASSIDY family on Jersey early 19th Cent.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 05 17:26 BST (UK) »
 Dear Prue,
I hope this is of interest to you regarding your search.

St Mary & St Peters church  marriages are not indexed so Im afraid you will need  to contact the church for information.

I was able to find details of Thomas & Catherines childrens baptisms  at this church as follows :
Rosetta 7/11/1831 which you already have
Mary 18/10/1833
James A 30/11/1835
Francis F 17/2/1838
I will also try to find some information on Thomas & Catherines births.

Regards

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 05 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Scatty!  I will contact the church about the marriage...and would definitely appreciate you looking for baptisms of the parents.

Manymany thanks again!  :D

Prue

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 05 22:25 BST (UK) »
P.S. Prue to my previous post forgot to include a baptism for Thomas Cassidy 12/11/1817 at the same church.
This could possibly be the father of Thomas Jnr, just a couple of years later than you thought.

St Marys & St Peters  Catholic Church
Wellington Rd
St Helier
JE2 4RJ
Tel  : 01534  722841
Fax : 01534 618227

I wouldnt be surprised if you found your Cassidy family hailed from Ireland, this church was built mainly by the large Irish community of the time The original church  was demolished  and  newer more up to date one is just five minutes from where I live.

Good Luck
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 05 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Scatty, sorry I haven't thanked you for your further help until now.  I really appreciate you looking into things for me and will follow up your leads.

Just out of interest, I don't suppose you are able to help out with my Lookup requests on the Jersey lookup board?  I haven't had any replies yet  :(

Many thanks again
Prue