Author Topic: Southwark  (Read 930 times)

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southwark
« on: Friday 21 March 14 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure someone will know the answer to this. I have a photo of horsedrawn cabs (several of my ancestors were cab drivers) at Findlaters Corner, Southwark. Does the 'Find' bit rhyme with grind or with sinned? As far as I can sort out, the place no longer exists, but can anyone point out where the location was in relation to what's there now? I don't actually know the area at all, but I can always find a map! Thank you.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 14 17:06 GMT (UK) »
This might help:

"  Alexander Findlater began trading as Findlater Mackie Todd and Co in Tooley Street, London Bridge. In 1863 the Company moved to premises under the railway viaduct facing London Bridge, a spot which was known to generations of Londoners as Findlaters Corner."

http://www.waitrosememorystore.org.uk/page_id__1308_path__0p1p.aspx
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 14 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Cant help with the pronounciation, but if you google Findlaters corner there is loads and loads about it.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
When I first got the photo a couple of years back, I did try googling it, but couldn't find very much. I'll try again, then. Thank you very much.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Coming from the area I would pronounce it as rhyming with sinnedlater.

Think I may be able to find a photo of the area in question somewhere, will post on here if I can find the one I know I have seen elsewhere on FB.

Cheers
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:03 GMT (UK) »
This photo is an aerial view of Finlaters Corner (London Bridge Approach) taken from Southwark Cathedral in 1927

And I think you can just make out the name of the firm in the white building as Findlaters.

This shows a view looking down Tooley Street with Tower Bridge in the background.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, very much, Plummiegirl. Along with the photo I have, taken at ground level, I can now get a good idea of the area.