Author Topic: Sydney Suburb  (Read 4033 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
Sydney Suburb
« on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Godd afternoon,
-
I have just received my grandfather's Birth Certificate - Oswald James Hall McLean Howell.  He was born on the 20th April 1909.  His place of birth has an address of 163 Palmer Street (Tuesday).  His birth was registered as Sydney but there is no suburb where this Palmer Street is.  I was amused that they bothered putting the day of birth but not the Suburb.  Also his mother's maiden name is listed as Little - but was Liddell.
His parents Robert Howell and Isabel Jessie Liddell were married at the congregational Church Randwick.  Could someone please confirm a suburb of birth for my grandfather.  Many thanks Debbie
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Suburb
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Well palmer Street as I know it now runs through a couple of suburbs. From Darlinghurst down through Kings Cross and onto Wooloomooloo. It nowadays is disected a bit by the Southern distributor however.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline muppetprincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
Palmer Street is in the suburb of Darlinghurst. I think that in 1909 Sydney was a lot smaller than it is today, and "everyone" knew where Palmer St was. The street runs at right angles to Oxford St, and runs down to Woolloomooloo (which, of course, means that it could be the suburb of Woolloomooloo, if the address is at that end of Palmer St  :P).
Cheers,
Jude
Buchan, Duthie, Jack, Monro- Aberdeen
Jardine- Dumfries, Cooma (NSW)
Cochrane- Scotland
Sparks- Norfolk, Young (NSW), South Australia
Liddiard- Wiltshire
Dellow- Hertfordshire
Ford- Ireland
McKechnie-South Australia, & ?Scotland??

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Palmer St Sydney was in the boundaries of the City of Sydney in 1909 so the 'suburb' is Sydney

Cheers JM
Godd afternoon,
-
I have just received my grandfather's Birth Certificate - Oswald James Hall McLean Howell.  He was born on the 20th April 1909.  His place of birth has an address of 163 Palmer Street (Tuesday).  His birth was registered as Sydney but there is no suburb where this Palmer Street is.  I was amused that they bothered putting the day of birth but not the Suburb.  Also his mother's maiden name is listed as Little - but was Liddell.
His parents Robert Howell and Isabel Jessie Liddell were married at the congregational Church Randwick.  Could someone please confirm a suburb of birth for my grandfather.  Many thanks Debbie
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I believe you are referring to 165 Palmer St Darlinghurst NSW 2010. Palmer Street has much historical significance and is the locality of infamous Tilly Devine & the Razor Gang. There is a lot of information online.

cheers :)
cupoflife

Correction: sorry for the typo, meant to write 163 Palmer Street Darlinghurst NSW 2010

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:28 GMT (UK) »
163 Palmer is on the crn of Stanley street which is one street up from and parallel to William Street.
see.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:32 GMT (UK) »
I believe you are referring to 165 Palmer St Darlinghurst NSW 2010. Palmer Street has much historical significance and is the locality of infamous Tilly Devine & the Razor Gang. There is a lot of information online.

cheers :)
cupoflife

Even in the late 1960's it was a street of much interest and notoriety. I lived nearby for a while, and it was most interesting to walk through getting to my "digs"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:45 GMT (UK) »

City of Sydney Assessmant Book 1925

Alexander LIDDELL at 163a Palmer St

death
8403 / 1926 HOWELL Isabel                  parents  Henry / Mary I          Chatswood
133 / 1937  LIDDELL Alexander Hubert  parents Henry / Mary       Sydney

maybe a brother to Isabel?

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much for that info,

My great grandmother Isabell Jessie Liddell was born in Newcastle to Henry Liddell and Mary McLean 1870 or 1871.  we have never been able to find her birth cert. - thank you so much.

Regards
Debbie
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)