Author Topic: Army Bands School, Orpington  (Read 17521 times)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
Army Bands School, Orpington
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 12:10 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has come across Newport Market Army Bands School, Orpington c.1937

I have been given a reference to follow up at Kew by the Army Museum following an enquiry about the Newport Market Army Training School, Westminster.  In the meantime, if any Rootchatters have come across this establishment or have a map of Orpington around that time I would be very interested.

The ref to the Bands School also says 'Uncertified Homes' and there is another reference to Newport Market Refuge and Army Training 1908 (no area mentioned).  This has interesting implications as the two brothers I am chasing transferred to NMA in Westminster from a childrens home and there is family lore saying that they attended an army music school so I am assuming that music was taught in Orpington.

It will be August before I get to Kew so any related info in the meantime would be much appreciated  ;D

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Army Bands School, Orpington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 12:54 BST (UK) »
st. joseph's orphanage orpington

If you put this in your browser you will get a page of relevant results including details on the 1992 School band - a military band - and their bandmaster. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 13:04 BST (UK) »
Ooooeeee, off to try now..... thanks Hack  ;D
Beer (Kent)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 14:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Steph - careless of me - it was a 1922 Band Concert, not 1992!
 :-[
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 05 14:47 BST (UK) »
You mean the one referring to a war memorial in Farnborough?  That band could actually contain my two ancestors, they moved from Elham Union to Newport Army in 1920-21 so could easily be in the Orpington school by 1922.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you link to St Josephs?

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 18:32 BST (UK) »
I live only a few miles from Orpington although I am really a newcomer in the area but one hears people talking. 8)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, there's nothing like local knowledge, that's why I posted in the first place  ;D

As a result of my searches I have e-mailed Orpington Library and also the Vicar on the site you mentioned - just in case!

Do you happen to know where the building(s) were and whether anything remains?

I have to wonder what the school was like, I have spoken to the daughter of one of these boys and she had no idea at all that her Father had been in any kind of children's home.  Whether from a sense of shame or because he was treated badly, we will never know.

Thanks again for the tip-off anyway, it's appreciated.

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 June 05 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hack, just to update you (and anyone else interested) Orpington Library passed my enquiry on to Bromley library who have replied as follows:

Quote  Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for your enquiry. You mention two different institutions.

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Orphanage for Boys was in Sevenoaks Road, Orpington. We have a photograph of the front, a couple of aerial shots and some interior pictures. Records would be held by the Southwark Catholic Children's Society, 49 Russell Hill Road, Purley, Surrey, CR8 2XB, tel. 020 8668 2181.

The Newport Market Army Band's School was in Darrick Wood House, Lovibonds Avenue, Crofton, Orpington. We have some material about it in our archive collections, including news reports and photographs of the buildings and the pupils, a few of whom are named. The school was there from 1927 to 1938, having moved (as far as I can gather) from Greeencoat Place Westminster, and sometime having been at Coburg Row, Westminster. After Orpington, it moved to Fortescue House School at Twickenham. It was originally named after the slums of Soho known as Newport Market, and provided refuge for destitute lads living in that area.
 unquote

That puts my ancestors firmly back in Westminster in 1921!  And adds a visit to Bromley to the list  ;D

Steph..
Beer (Kent)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 June 05 19:39 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a great outcome for you Steph 8)