Author Topic: Jardine- Banbridge, County Down  (Read 6186 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jardine- Banbridge, County Down
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just chanced, rather late in the day, upon this thread, and I wonder if anyone found "Ervin's Lane". I was born and grew up in Bridge St Banbridge in 1950/60s but it doesn't ring any bells. Among my late fathers documents are 6 inch to the mile OS maps of the town (original survey date 1860, and latest note says revised 1903-1918)
Between Jinglers Bridge and Edenderry Rd the only turn offs on the left are Commercial Rd and Meeting House Rd. On the right are the two connections to Victoria St (not named on map and my memory is blank). There is another little street opposite the Manse and finally a little lane leading to the School at Junction with Reilly St which I suspect is the most likely candidate. Not sure if  copyright issues allow posting of old OS map detail here ?

Matt

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
in 1863 Ervins Lane intersects Scarva St, between no 33 Wm Mccormack’s and 34 Samuel Jardines

on page 40 of the printed version  of Griffiths valuation , Ervins Lane is detailed with 7 entries listed  see  http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation
however only two of the properties are houses
1.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  John and James Morton  LdLD Downshire Bld ground waste
2.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  William Nelson LdLD Thomas Ervin house £1 fifteen shillings pa
3.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  Patrick McGivern LdLD Thomas Ervin house £1 fifteen shillings pa £1 fifteen shillings pa
4.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  James Hutchison LdLD Downshire garden £1 five shillings pa
5.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  Bernard Rooney LdLD Downshire garden five shillings pa
6.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  James Quail LdLD Moses Woodse garden £1 five shillings pa
7.   Ervin’s Lane, Banbridge  James Hutchison LdLD Downshire garden fifteen shillings pa
for further history look up PRONI Valuation Revision Books PRONI Reference: VAL/12/B/16/6A (1864 - 1874) -
VAL/12/B/16/6H (1915 - 1929) its online
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 April 16 20:34 BST (UK) »
Can't be sure which one it is even on this scale and a phone photo exceeds the max attachment size . I note you have an interest in Graceys worldwide. My Physics master at Banbridge Academy was Ivan Gracey, who lived in Dollingstown near Lurgan but moved to Cascum Rd in Banbridge. He is/was a well known Radio Amateur.
The Matthew Davidson, 53 Bridge St on the on line valuation records is my maternal grandfather after whom I am named

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
I have some Presby records of Jardines who move between Lurgan, Corcreany, and Lurganterry. James and Alexanders are common.  There isn't all that much detail.  Alex m. Isabelle/Jane Livingston had Alex, James L., Alex, and Bess.  1830-1836.  Samuel m. Ann Irwin had David and George 1825, James had Wm 1826 and might be the James m. Jane Valentine and having David about 1825.  Samuel m. Jane Liggett had Livingston 1834.  These early ones are at Lurgan 1st, but they seem to have switched churches with only on Jardine  mention in the 1850's.  Lurgan 2nd may be where they are at as some of those from a Livingston are there in 1870's living at Tegnavin. Some have become Jordons in the records.

If you can match known children's names, I can list more details and more Jardines.