Author Topic: Kent cencus Look Up 1841 - Mitchell  (Read 3424 times)

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kent cencus Look Up 1841 - Mitchell
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Please see if the Mitchell family were living at Kent in 1841

The 1851 Census had them living in Gillingham.According to my naval records the Head/Husband was serving on the HMS Crane from Aug 1839 until 1843.

Poss address - Wellington Cottage,Aiden Road,Gillingham

Wife..................Elizabeth Rachel............b 1811  Woolwich
Son...................Henry Joseph Charles....b 1829  Gillingham
Son...................Joseph Bullbrook...........b 1833  Gillingham
Dau...................Elizabeth Agnes............b 1835  Sheerness

Many thanks to:- carol_cholsey,BarbaraF and Casalguidi for their help so far.

Regards

Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Cooke..........Camden Town,St.Pancrass in London
Charles........Woolwich,Chatham,Gillingham in Kent
Duffey..........Leeds
Glen.............Co.Clare
Irving...........Chatham & Deptford
Mitchell.........Staines in M/sex & Gillingham in Kent
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds
Smokeham....St.Pancras,Camden Town in London

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kent cencus Look Up 1841 - Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 14:42 BST (UK) »
Steve,
ref HO107 458-01 folio 61
In 1841 Wellington Cottage, Gillingham was occupied by:
Deskford Charles, his wife Mary, and children Deskford, Rachel and George. Sorry, no sign of Elizabeth and family. With a child born 1835 in Sheerness, and 1843 in Falmouth Cornwall, they could very well be in either of those places.
Carol.
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 14:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol,

Many,many thanks for that info.

I will make a hard copy of same.

When Elizabeth Rachel Charles married in 1828 the witness signature at her marriage at Hoo St.Werburgh was a Deskfoord  George Charles with a double 'oo".His sig is very clear.I also picked up Deskfoord's will a few years later in the PCC.

This must be her brother or her father ?.

Kind regards

Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Duffey..........Leeds
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 15:22 BST (UK) »
The full entry for Wellington Cottage 1841 is:
Deskford Charles age 70 Army R
Mary do age 50
Deskford do age 30 Navy H P
Rachel do age 19
George do age 25 Navy H P

Deskford senior and George are shown as born in Scotland, the others as born in county. No idea what the 'R' or 'H P' mean in the occupation, maybe R = Reserve. Looking at the ages given, I'd say it was more likely that these are Elizabeth's parents and siblings.
Carol.

WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Many thanks again.

So it appears I now may have some Scottish blood.

Cheers

Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Duffey..........Leeds
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds

Offline AlisonR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

I was interested to read the messages and reponses regarding the name Deskfoord Charles and Wellington Cottage.
I don't know if this may be of any interest to you but I have recently begun researching the history of my house - Wellington Cottage in Wyles Street, Gillingham, Kent which was built in 1822.  We have lived here for 9 years and were recently given a whole bundle of legal documents dating back to the sale of the plot of land on which the house was built, which inspired me to start my research.  The early documents are quite difficult to decifer for a novice like me but make fascinating, if somewhat time-consuming reading.  The name Deskfoord Charles appears on several of the early papers together with his seal and signature and the name Mitchell also appears.  From what I can make out, Deskfoord Charles was a Lieutenant in the Royal Sappers and Miners.  His wife was Mary Ann and he had 3 children - Deskfoord George Charles, Elizabeth Rachel Charles, who married Joseph Mitchell, and George Frederick Charles.  One of the documents mentions Elizabeth's 2 children Elizabeth Agnes and Helen Maria.  Deskfoord Charles died on 9th Dec 1847, his wife in 1854 and his son Deskfoord George died in 1850, leaving a son also named Deskfoord George.  The date of Elizabeth's death was 17th June 1873. Helen Maria I believe married ?? Irving, no date given, and after his death later married Edward William Bruce in May 1886.  She died on August 30th 1903.

I'm not sure if any of the above is of interest to you or tells you anything you didn't already know but hopefully it may fill in one or two gaps.  As I mentioned, I am only just beginning my research, so if I uncover any other relevant info I will keep you posted.

Best wishes
Alison
Clarke: Kent/Northants
Budds: Kent
Jack: Middx
Curd: Surrey

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,

WELCOME TO ROOTSCHAT

What a marvelous reply you've given to this entry. I only wish that it was my ancestors, rather than those that I've done the lookup for. You've provided Steve with a potted family history, and loads of extra info that would be hard to come by elsewhere. It really does go to show that there is a wealth of information lurking out there about our ancestors, if only we have the good fortune to uncover it.

It would appear that as Deskfoord senior only had the three children, then the Rachel age 19, shown on the 1841 census, was Deskfoord George's wife. From the BMD indexes, I found the birth of Deskfoord George junior, in Q4, 1849, Medway district ref 5 391. His christening is shown on cityark:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

Gillingham, St Mary Magdalen parish, baptisms, (image 11), and shows Deskfoord George Charles, christened December 9th 1849, son of Deskfoord George (occupation - Paymaster and Purser R E), and Rachel Maria. 

I'm sure that Steve will be interested in all the information that you have, especially as he appears to be a direct descendant of them.

xx Carol

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison R,

Sorry for the slow reply.Well it appears you have answered my question if WELLINGTON COTTAGE still exists.

I am a descendant of  Elizabeth Rachel Charles and Joseph  Mitchell.Most of the info I have but you have filled in a few more gaps.

A couple of months ago I was contacted by someone from the Irving family who picked up one of my threads on Curious Fox.

The two Mitchell boys came to Australia and the two Mitchell girls stayed in the UK.I was wondering if any of the Charles family are still in Chatham/Gillingham.

Many thanks for you help.

Would you please PM me and if you like I can give you my direct email address.

Kind Regards

Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Duffey..........Leeds
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London