Author Topic: address in West Bromwich  (Read 355 times)

Offline DaleB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
address in West Bromwich
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
The attached image is from a 1914 passenger ship manifest, showing that an ancestor of mine was returning to New York City from a visit to the UK.  The extract is from a column in which the passenger was supposed to indicate the relationship, name, and address of the nearest relative in the UK.  I am interested in the reading of lines 3 and 4, which appear in slightly darker ink and appear to be in a different hand from the other entries.  I think the lines read:

mother, K. Barton, 161 ? ?
Westbromwich

The reading of West Bromwich is a bit uncertain, but my ancestor and her mother were in fact born there, so I would expect the street address to be in West Bromwich.  But I cannot make out the street address, even after trying to match it to a list of (modern) street names in W. B.  I have not been able to find my ancestor in the 1911 census, so no help from that source.  Can anybody decipher the address?

cheers,
Dale
Braden, Barton, Mallin, Green, Taylor, Abel, Fereday

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: address in West Bromwich
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 14 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Could it be 161 Great Bridge Street, West Bromwich?
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 02:07 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with Trishanne on 161 Great Bridge Street. Even though the spelling doesn't quite match - to me it looks like 'greit Brid(and then some little unreadable letters).

However, after entering the letters I think I see, Google Maps keeps taking me back to 161 Great Bridge Street, West Bromwich.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=161+great+bridge+street+west+bromwich&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48709830e30f97cf:0xdc70d0b8964d5e2b,161+Great+Bridge+St,+West+Bromwich+B70+0DE,+UK&gl=au&ei=ctg0U8DqPMnTkwW4i4HgCA&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAA
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline DaleB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for responding.  "Great Bridge" was my guess, too, though I agree that the first word looks a lot like "greit" and I just can't see the "g" in the second word.  I just confirmed that this address did exist in 1911 census and it was in fact a private dwelling.  Unfortunately the occupants had the surname Lavender, not Barton.  Oh well, I guess she wasn't at that address until 1914.
Braden, Barton, Mallin, Green, Taylor, Abel, Fereday