Author Topic: William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)  (Read 5111 times)

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 April 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Heywood,

Thank you for replying. I don't have a copy of the will yet. I will get it. Someone (who has it) told me:

Father, Wm Charles Augustus McEntee, Will read that son, Edward, was appointed executor. At that time, the estate was to be divided among all of the living children except one son, WCMcE. It seems as if there was a disagreement between father and son. Father was a gunsmith and he had a factory for "needles and/or pins". He was "recorded as being a Foreign Hardware Merchant and Commercial Clerk".

Regarding the censuses, I've been able to see 1861, 1871, 1881, and 1891 on ancestry.

For 1861:

William C McEntes   38
Emma McEntes   32
Eliza J McEntes   8
Edward H B McEntes   6
Mary A M McEntes   4
Elanor J McEntes    1
Rabacca Rawlings   19
Elizabeth Meridith   20

For 1871:

William C McEntee   49
Eliza Laura McEntee   18
Helena F McEntee   11
Kathleen W McEntee   9
Charlotte A McEntee   7
Charlotte L Eckett   21
Fanny T Stokes   20
Anna C Chidley   32
Lydia Reed   23
Fanny Jackson   20

For 1881:

William C. McEntee   57
Emma McEntee   53
Helena McEntee   21
Kathleen McEntee   19
Charlotte McEntee   17
Richard N. Hart   2
Henrietta Turner   22
Ellen Tait   33
Eliza Woodward   23
Annie Wills    22

For 1891:

William C McEntee   67
Emma McEntee   63
Edward B McEntee   36
Emily McEntee   38
Charlotte A McEntee   27
Norville Hart   12
Evan B McEntee   6
Sarah Forster   18

I hadn't noticed that and that's truly interesting -- you're right. Emma isn't there in 1871. That's a strange coincidence because that's right around the time that "another" William Charles McEntee has a child with Kate William Burchell in Ireland. That child is born Nov 14, 1869 (at No 3 South City Dublin) and named Hugh Henry McEntee.

I'm also investigating another child of William Charles McEntee (the one in Birmingham) with the same name (who also isn't mentioned on the censuses). But that's another issue altogether.

My William McEntee in Birmingham looks to be in a very high social class there. I can't imagine that he's entirely self-made considering how it was in those times. I'm guessing he had parents that were well positioned in Dublin (or Ireland) where he come from as well.

I'm also seeing in these articles he was a big patron of St. Paul's church in Birmingham. So it appears he was Catholic basically.

I'm curious what sort of records Masons have (and give out). Perhaps his father was a mason.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
St Paul's is C o E, I think not Catholic.
His involvement with the Masons and the foundation of the Immanuel Church  would be at odds with being a Catholic.

I did read your other thread re William Charlton McEntee and am answering here rather than there. I haven't checked that one to see if you have any further information there.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 April 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood.

You're probably right. :)

I based my conclusion on this from this St. Paul's website (which I assumed to be the right place):

http://www.saintpaulbrum.org/

What we believe
- St Paul’s Church belongs to the Church of England Diocese of Birmingham. As such it is part of the one, holy, catholic (universal) and apostolic Christian Church.
- The St Paul’s community worships the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We speak and teach the Christian faith as it is revealed in Scripture (the Old and New Testament of the Holy Bible) and as it is set forth in the catholic creeds (the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed).
- We are called by God to proclaim this Christian faith in fresh and relevant new expressions in every generation.

I personally wouldn't know though about such things.

I've seen alot of really interesting articles that WCMc had in the newspapers. Many are to do with church stuff he was doing, the masonic stuff he was doing, etc. But these ones are particularly interesting (attached)

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 April 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
I was able to find 105 articles in all between 1859-1890 - I believe all with his name.

Here's another:

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 April 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
This should really be posted on your other thread but I can't see it at the moment. You may gave already seen it.http://www.rotaryfirst100.org/global/countries/El%20Salvador/index.htm#.U0AA3Ce9KSM

Heywood

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 April 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Heywood,

That was an INCREDIBLE find! :) I think I might well have another grandfather in that picture. Very very very cool. :)))

Thank you!

Zak

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 April 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
That's great!
Every now and again, I have a look to see if anything turns up and as you say, that is really good  :D

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 April 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Getting back to my original purpose for this thread... I've been talking to someone else on ancestry who's given me a great deal of information on this family. All of which has turned out to be true.

And she tells me the father (of the son who was born in 1823) was a Custom House Clerk and lived in Birmingham, England at the time of WmCAMcE marriage. That marriage was in 1851.

So we know the father's profession. We know the religion.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 April 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

that's good news that you are getting more information.
It would be interesting to know where the information comes from re the father of William (1823) in Birmingham in 1851.
The only William who seems to be in the 1851 census is the Merchant Clerk whose age has been mistranscribed and is presumably the one who marries the same year.
It may be that the marriage certificate states that father is a Customs House Clerk which great.
Could your informant give more help, perhaps?
regards
heywood