Author Topic: William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)  (Read 5106 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 March 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
ancestry show an 1811 marriage licence granted to a William McEntee and Jane McCaul in Dublin !!!

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 March 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
The 1851 English census shows a William McEntee b 1785 Dublin, Ireland living in Birmingham - have you research this chap to see if he is William Charles' father ?

Tara

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
Tara,

You've been incredibly gracious with your time. I honestly didn't know what to expect by coming to rootschat. Or upon asking how to retrieve Irish information specifically. I do have some other family members on other parts of my tree that I'm sure will be their own challenges. So looking for William McEntee (probably one of the odder and mysterious parts of my tree) is my first attempt to just simply understand the process.

And thank you for finding William and Jane. :) I'm guess that's a bit ambiguous though. I can see what you mean by needing more background information to see if it's really a match!

Regarding some of your other questions (and again, you'll have to forgive me on my answers -- I'm a true novice!):

- William Charles McEntee (b. 1865) is my g-g-grandfather.
- William Charles McEntee (b. 1823?) would be my g-g-g-grandfather.

- William Charles McEntee and Emma Kenworthy marriage certificate -- I have this through ancestry's default hint help: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=FreeBMDMarriage&h=19324627&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t67935280_p30177976371_kpidz0q3d30177976371z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid I don't know if this is a true marriage certificate. But ancestry is suggesting that this is proof of marriage to Emma Kenworthy in Birmingham in 1851 when he was 28 years old. I'm guessing you're suggesting that I find a "real" marriage certificate as it may show proof of the parents and potentially the father's occupation?

- Proof of William (the father)'s birth location being Ireland: 1861 census (http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/ViewRecordRedir.aspx?tid=67935280&pid=30177976371&dbid=8767&rpid=20864849&nam=William%2bCharles%2bMcEntee&pg=32768&pgpl=pid), 1871 census (http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/ViewRecordRedir.aspx?tid=67935280&pid=30177976371&dbid=7619&rpid=2756733&nam=William%2bCharles%2bMcEntee&pg=32768&pgpl=pid), and 1881 census (http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/ViewRecordRedir.aspx?tid=67935280&pid=30177976371&dbid=7572&rpid=23624658&nam=William%2bCharles%2bMcEntee&pg=32768&pgpl=pid). 1871 and 1881 censuses say he's from Dublin. I only have proof from the censuses.

- Proof of William (the father)'s occupation: 1861 census - says he's a hardware merchant, 1871 census - says he's a merchant manufacturer, 1881 census - says he's a foreign hardware merchant.

- Proof of William (the father's) year of birth: 1881 census - would put his YOB at around: 1823, 1871 census - would put his YOB at around: 1822, 1881 census - would put his YOB at around: 1824. So I'm guessing his real year of birth was 1823.

- Proof of William (the father's) religion: I wouldn't know how to get that.

- Proof of William (the father's) part of Dublin that he came from: I wouldn't know how to get that.

- Proof of William (the father's) parents name and including mother's maiden name: I wouldn't know how to get that. :(

- Proof of William (the father's) father's occupation: I wouldn't know how to get that.

- Regarding the William McEntee b. 1785 in England. I'm getting the sense, that I should exhaust all possibilities before getting into Ireland, because doing the research there is a bit painstaking. I haven't looked into that lead. And I will!

- Regarding the William and Jane in Dublin, I'd like to know more about them absolutely! But, I'm thinking it may not be a match because of the years involved. Their son wasn't born between 1822-1824. And, I'm feeling cautious about looking into this further if it's a hard process. :( If it was a better year match, then I'd feel more confident.

I'm thinking perhaps trying to get a proper marriage certificate (if that's not what I have) might be the next step as it may reveal more clues?

I've also seen some articles in the britishnewspaperarchives.co.uk for William Charles McEntee in Birmingham. Per your advice, I'm thinking I should do my best to get more background information.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Zak

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Zak,

Yes

1. Order the actual marriage certificate for William and Emma (I'm afraid though that I don't know how to do that re English records)

2. While waiting on that cert to arrive research the William McEntee whom is in Birmingham in 1851.

3. Get back to us when you have the certificate with William's father's name and the father's occupation on it and we'll see can we get better leads over here then !

Best Of Luck

Tara

PS Use YOB on paperwork as a loose guideline - 200 years ago there wasn't the same priority's on birthdays that there is today - I have people on my own tree whose dates vary over 20 years from one document to another !

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
The 1851 English census shows a William McEntee b 1785 Dublin, Ireland living in Birmingham - have you research this chap to see if he is William Charles' father ?

Tara

William in Birmingham in 1851 is unmarried and 26ish yrs. (difficult to read) He is a Merchant's Clerk so presumably your William. His age has been mistranscribed.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Good spotting Heywood !

Tara

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Tara and Heywood. :)

I really appreciate both of your replies. (And I'll update my records with the 1851 census! Yay!) I'll do my best to get some further information (if I can) and circle back.

Zak Jones

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 April 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking through newspaper articles. But two things I've figured out: (1) he was an officer in the Mason community in Birmingham. There are quite a few articles mentioning him. (2) he contributed to the founding of an Anglican Church in Birmingham (Immanuel Church).

The other things I've seen on him I think I've already mentioned. Specifically: (1) he was involved with foreign hardware manufacture (whatever that means) - i'm pretty sure he was the owner of the business, (2) he was involved in an attempt to reestablish a west indies trade company. i looked up the wiki on 'west indies co', and it seems there were a couple evolutions of it, the last one (which didn't appear to get off the ground so well), i believe my William McEntee was one of the main partners.

Not sure exactly what that might reveal for his roots in Dublin. I'm still digging...

Zak

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 April 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
If I recall, Emma is missing from census in 1871 and Edward the son is also missing. Presumably he is away at school but young William would probably be too young.

I can't see Edward anywhere in school in England.

I know it's not much help but just part of the bigger picture.

Does William's will mention all his children?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk