Author Topic: David Bowen / Sarah Palethorp  (Read 6432 times)

Offline PLB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Bowen / Sarah Palethorp
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
My information is that David Bowen was born in 1815 in Llandeilo Fawr and died 21 Jan 1879 in Alfreton, Derbyshire. Buriel 25 Jan 1879. He married Sarah Palethorpe 30 Nov 1837. She is in the 1851 census. Last year I viewed one of his clocks which is with a collector.I have copies of his will and death cert.
His father was Owen Bowen. 1781 - 1851. Baptised 30 May 1781 in Llandeilo. His wife was Mary Thomas 1777 - 29 Oct 1874. He was a shoemaker in the 1851 census. His grave stone is legible.
His father was David Bowen, born 1744 in Llandeilo. His will is available. His wife was Joan - I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HER MAIDEN NAME.
David's parents could be David Bowen and Hannah Davis but I do not have any source documents to support this.
BACK TO DAVID BOWEN IN ALFRETON - his son Alfred David Bowen was born 19 Nov 1848 in Alfreton, baptised 5 Oct 1849. He died 2 Feb 1918 in Fort Hill, Transkei, Eastern Cape, South Africa. He left from Southampton on 25 Nov 1875 for the Cape. He kept a detailed daily diary which is held in the Grahamstown Museum in the Cape. He married Caroline Georgina Smith 17 July 1883 in the Transkei. She was born 14 Nov 1860 and died 30 Dec 1950.
Their son Hugh Charles Bowen was my grandfather.

Offline dshc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat, The information we have about David Bowen's marriages are as follows:- First wife Sarah PALETHORPE died 2/10/1857 and David's second wife was also called Sarah (surname unknown) who died 2/5/1872 she was from Stamford, Lincolnshire. She is named on the headstone (along with 1st wife and David) which is in St. Martins burial ground ALFRETON. We didn't know about Dinah and wondered whether she could have been David's 3rd wife?
Susan

Offline dshc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 April 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately unable to help with Joan's maiden name. Our interest in the family stems from a grandfather clock we purchased several years ago. The name on the dial reads JS BOWEN (which we assume is JAMES) of ALFRETON and inside the clock the retailers trade label of DAVID BOWEN of ALFRETON. At the time of purchase we assumed they were related but so far have been unable to make a connection with the two names. So we are left with a mystery! The clock is all original and the dial unrestored. We also know all the provenance of the clock from leaving ALFRETON early in the 1900's.
Susan