Author Topic: A total mystery Location with nothing to go on.  (Read 13638 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
A total mystery Location with nothing to go on.
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, seeing as everyone loves these unknown location threads I have a "Stinker" of one  ;D

Below is a photograph of my wife's late mother, I have another one in exactly the same location picturing my wife's late Father, they were more than likely took by each other on one of the walks they used to take when they were a courting couple, as you can see they only show a country lane and what looks to be a block of four farm? or possibly Railway cottages? it was more than likely taken somewhere on the South Yorkshire/Lincolnshire border in the Thorne, Crowle area but I could be wrong  ::)

Does anyone have any idea where it is please ................................................................ Yeah I know, I must be having a laugh.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A total mystery Location with nothing to go on.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting one - the terrain certainly looks right for the area you suggest, but I only know it from driving through and can't offer any definite ideas. But there are clues...

It's summer, and the length of shadow suggests it's not far off midday, so the road is going roughly west-east (possibly a bit towards SW-NE), with the houses on the north side. On the left (north) side of the road it looks as though there is a fairly wide dyke or other water course or drainage channel, between the verge and the higher bank beyond. There might also be a smaller one on the right. And it looks like a fairly minor road.

Maybe put a link to this on the WRY board in case any local experts recognise it?

Sorry I can't help more.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur, Topic is now moved over to the West Riding Board, many thanks for your input and observations.

Regards always.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I had a drive around the lanes in Thorne yesterday, thought I'd cracked it!! ;D but no!  ::).
I found cottages just like those pictured (Marsh Lane, Dykes Marsh Cottages) in Moorends but the lane is on the wrong side of them. ??? ???

Ah well!! onwards and upwards, going to have a ride out towards Medge Hall on the Lincolnshire border.

Regards.
Frank.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
There are a fair few roads I've seen on my travels around the Selby / Docaster / Scunthorpe area that look quite similar.

At a guess, I think if we drew a square (going clockwise here) Selby- South Cave - Lincoln - Worksop, and then looked at all the smaller straight roads going left to right (West to East) then the building could look using Google Streetview for something familiar possibly?

http://goo.gl/maps/V0BnD

Is that just a bush on the right hand side of the photograph or do you see something else there?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan, now you mention it I'm not sure, I thought there may be a building in the distance but on lower ground, or is it just my eyes  :-\

Frank.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Frank,

It might be worth posting that picture you mentioned of your wife's late father too from the same spot - there might just be a slight difference that could help us.

Trystan
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
It reminds me very much of the Lincolnshire Fens, around the Billinghay, Ruskington areas, parts of North and South Kesteven. Years ago I did a teaching practice there and I remember the narrow, straight roads running between the dykes.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
I've tried to enlarge the house a bit, not that it helps much, but we never know....

Trystan