Author Topic: A total mystery Location with nothing to go on.  (Read 13636 times)

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A total mystery Location with nothing to go on.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 April 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering when your wife's family used to take photos ?
I know that it would be rare for my family to take photos around home but would take the camera if they were on holiday or visiting family or friends or a special place or occasion.

Glen

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 05 April 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen, many thanks for your reply, they used to take photographs all of the time, my wife has snapshots of them sat in the local park etc with their friends, I think it was something that they just used to do.

Below is a link to another one which I looked into with the help of fellow Rootschatters, this turned out to be taken only about 2 miles from where each of them lived.

Regards. Frank.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=636331.0
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 05 April 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Actually the "ornaments" on the extensions do look like chimneys, though there are also chimneys on the main part of the houses, too.
The back parts of the building would have been those extensions you often see, more in towns than in the country,on houses whereby a bathroom upstairs and a kitchen downstairs were added to the original house. There also looks to be a single storey bit added on as well. I'd guess this was a scullery/wash-house/outside toilet.. So, in fact each of the 4 houses would be really quite a decent size.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 April 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
The back parts of the building would have been those extensions you often see, more in towns than in the country,on houses whereby a bathroom upstairs and a kitchen downstairs were added to the original house. There also looks to be a single storey bit added on as well. I'd guess this was a scullery/wash-house/outside toilet.. So, in fact each of the 4 houses would be really quite a decent size.

Hi bykerlads,
Yes, that's as I see it, hence my original thinking that they are Railway or Farm cottages.
There are quite a few houses around Thorne/Moorends which were built along the same lines including a couple of canal side houses where the owners opened and closed the bridges, and still do to this day.

Regards.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 April 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Is that just a bush on the right hand side of the photograph or do you see something else there?

Trystan

Yes  I think its a long single storey building with two large windows.  perhaps a workshop or similar
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 06 April 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi purlin,
Many thanks for your input, are we talking to the right of the bush on the right of the photograph?
or are we talking to the right of the bush on the right hand side of the building?, I think I can see something in both places to be honest.  :-\

Or am I just looking too hard?

Regards.
Frank.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 April 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
 To the right of the bush at the right of the houses.  To me it looks like a low building stretching towards the road with two either large doors or windows.  On the right there's also what may be a water tank sited on the roof or possibly a chimney.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 07 April 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
What about 1-4 Marsh Lane, which stood at the crossroads of North Common Road and Marsh Lane just north of Thorne. The 1932 and 1962 1:2500 Ordnance Survey maps (available on www.old-maps.co.uk  co-ordinates 468200, 415600) show they were a row of four houses with the staggered rear projecting wings that strongly suggest the style of houses shown here - a two storey projection, then a slightly thinner single storey section. The couple would have been standing on North Common Road just west of the houses - and the OS map labels a drain running along the left hand side of the road, which you can sort of make out in the picture. The houses are no longer there - there's a modern bungalow called Stone Bunglaow on the site, plus the road beyond has been modified as it now goes up and over the M18 just east of this spot.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 07 April 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
What about 1-4 Marsh Lane

Looks a perfect fit to me!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk