Author Topic: o'connor & Brosnan - Knockbrack  (Read 11281 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: o'connor & Brosnan - Knockbrack
« Reply #45 on: Friday 10 July 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

GV is the Griffiths Valuation whereby heads of household who were responsible for paying rents on land were listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith%27s_Valuation

Brosna GV

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/kerry/brosna.htm

Re the marrying situation

Sometimes BOTH surnames for the woman will show up with the same reference numbers ~

So for the likes of Mary Curtin, you would see reference numbers for a Mary Curtin and the same reference numbers for a Mary Breen ~ and then of course the same reference numbers for John Forde.

In this instance though there are only the cross referencing numbers for a Mary Curtin to a John Forde.

In my experience I have see both situations and for the life of me I'm not sure why ~ maybe it's a clerk issue  ???

When you get her marriage cert, by rights it SHOULD say Mary Breen marrying John Forde, then underneath 'formerly Curtin' ~ that's how both surnames show on the index.

I'm not sure how or why in certain instances only the maiden name of a widow shows upon her remarrying.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: o'connor & Brosnan - Knockbrack
« Reply #46 on: Friday 10 July 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Also,

Given that most of your family records are registered in Tralee I am just looking back over the possible deaths for a Michael Breen.

This is the only one registered in Tralee for the 1874 - 1884 time period.

First name(s)    Michael
Last name    Breen
Birth year    1821
Age at death    55
Registered year    1876
Registered quarter/year    1876
Registration district    Tralee
Volume    5
Page    540

No guarantees that it's your ancestor but again should you have a spare €4 then I'd get it.

Tara