Author Topic: Edward and Margaret Little  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward and Margaret Little
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
 Looking for any info where they went to when arriving in the port of Quebec after leaving Glasgow ,Scotland on 22/05/1922 on the ship Cassandra .He was born 1880 and 41 when leaving with wife Margaret 44 and kids Edward 14 and Margaret 18. Edward was a bricklayer and from a big family . On mine and other distant relatives trees its a blank after that . thanks in advance .
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Edward and Margaret Little
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rayjamgor,

Just to narrow the search. On his Canada Ocean Arrivals Form 30 A from Library and Archives
Canada his destination is Niagara Falls Ontario to a friend a Donald McKinnon, 5 Banker St.

See here http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=pgu74hjaupu9qmj7ao9j21gtb3&sqn=2263&q2=5&q3=655&tt=4942

Wife Margaret is on page 2553
Daughter Margaret is on page 2567
Son Edward is on page 2273

Cheers,
DB

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 14 01:24 BST (UK) »

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/69396/Little-Dorothy.php
Obituary for Dorothy Little (nee Fryer)

http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/start.asp?db=cari
This link provides newspaper index references for marriage in 1940 for Dorothy Catherine Fryer and Edward John Little
Birth for 2 daughters to this couple in 1944 and 1947
Obituary for Dorothy Little (Fryer) in 2006
Obituary for Margaret Gillies Little in 1945

If you contacted the Niagara Public Library which holds this database they would be able to give you more information as to how to access the articles.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 04:04 BST (UK) »

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for reply folks , much appreciated . Ive found 3 separate families of my relations heading to Canada , from Taylor-Cheesman in Carelton City/Ontario to Marchbanks in Toronto .  My cousin still visits the Marchbanks .  will have a nosey about to see if theres any Littles left as weve lost track of any in Scotland . We have them back to 1801c with a John Little in Ireland moving to Glasgow ,Scotland . Cheers again folks  :D
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 June 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
Good news , have made contact with Edwards grandaughter after being put on the right path by the good people on here . After getting the names i searched facebook and took a chance and asked one person if she was descended from Edward and Margaret Little from Glasgow and she said YES ;-)
 I sent her the links to her grandfathers passenger lists and pictures of his brother and sister and shes delighted to be in contact. So shes sending me pics and even shed light on how i couldnt find a death in Scotland for Edwards father , as he was in Canada too and died there  in 1907 . He was born in 1846 Ireland but grew up in  Glasgow , Scotland  . Have him in 1861 census, 1871,1881 missing in 1891 back in 1901, was wondering if he was in Canada in 1890,s and came home and then his son ,Edward and wife Margaret decided to go over after marrying in 1903 in Glasgow as apparently they went together around 1904-5 ish . Any help would be greatfully appreciated   :)

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 June 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rayjamgor,

How lovely to be in contact with Edward's granddaughter. :)

You didn't mention Edward's fathers name. Assuming it is Edward too.

From Find a Grave Edward Little d. 1907 Drummond Hill Cemetery. I think this is the one that
cosmac found.
 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=LI&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GScntry=10&GSsr=5961&GRid=80208545&

There is a passenger list for Edward Little 1903 on the Pomeranian from Glasgow to Montreal and
Quebec. He gives his destination as Toronto. He is on page 2.
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=4086&

Cheers
DB

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 June 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
yeah that picture of the grave of Edward Little ties in nicely with the Edward im looking for . Now we knew he was there first he must have got his son to come over as he was a Mason/stonecutter too .  Apparently his son Edward 1881-1965 got a good job with the Niagara Parks Commission building the stonework and his grandaughter is sending me some pics of the work . Funnily enough im a Bricklayer and have taken pics of the buildings and houses as something my kids can pass on the info too there kids  :)
 Thanks again for great detective work in finding his passenger listing in 1903 :)