Author Topic: Berrylands Road, Surbiton.  (Read 1936 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Berrylands Road, Surbiton.
« on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Leading from Berrylands Road to the south is Howards Road. I haven't come across this name before. Did it have another name formerly?
Thanks, Toby.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Berrylands Road, Surbiton.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
There was a road called Howard Road, Surbiton in 1911
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Comparing a recent London atlas ("A-Z") with one of (probably) the 1960s, it looks as if the area has been rebuilt. The present Howard Road is in about the same place as a previous Alpha Road, and Howard Road was a small side street off to the east where the present Howard Road ends. I see that there is still a truncated Alpha Road at the south.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your help. I can now add a bit more for I have managed to visit the area. The Angel P.H. in the 1911 census is at 1, Alpha Road. The building still stands but is derelict and is now in Howard Road.
In “Surbiton, Thirty-two Years of local self Government 1855 – 1887” by Rowley W.C.Richardson. 1888. p23  refers to Green Lane (Alpha Road). Alpha Road was straight as a die whereas Howard Road has bends and it is this that makes comparisons of the two courses difficult. Toby.