Author Topic: Alexander Charters (c1756)  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alexander Charters (c1756)
« on: Friday 04 April 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am searching for the birth & death data for Alexander Charters, born c1756 in ?Bolton.  He married Isabella  George (c1756-1832) in Bolton on 29 Jan 1776.  Isabella was born c1756 to William George (c1731) & Barbara Read (c1728) in Wigton.  She died 15 Feb 1832 & is buried in Bolton. 
Their son John was born 28 Apr 1776 in Wigton.  As Alexander's family originated in Balmaghie & Dumfries, I searched not only Cumberland but Kirkcudbrightshire (Scotland) also for the family.  I located son John Charters on the 1851 Balmaghie census married to Henrietta McCourty.  John's first wife was Agnes Shannan.
Hope you can help.
Best regards
Hendo
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Charters (c1756)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 14 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Source: Furness Family History Society www.furnessfhs.co.uk
An Alexander CHARTERS was buried at Holy Trinity, Millom, Cumberland on 18th March 1901, aged 70.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor
The Alexander Charters you refer to would have been born c1831.  My Alexander was born c 1756.
Regards
Hendo

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Hendo,
I just thought that the burial I gave you may have been the grandson?
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Victor,
Apart from John (1776-1846), they did have 3 other children in the parish of Bolton; William (1778), Joseph (c1781-1862) & Frances (c1784).  At this stage I am trying to link the father Alexander Charters to the John Charters (born in England) that I found on the 1841 Balmaghie census.  I have linked the Charteris (Charters) family from Amisfield, Dumfries to Duchrae in Balmaghie.  Also, they were known to have lands in northern England (?Cumberland).  Two of the 3 other children had offspring & stayed in Cumberland.  The Alexander you found may fit with these two lines. 
According to the 1851 Upperby (Cumberland) census, Alexander Charters (Cotton weaver), born c 1801, born Upperby, Cumberland & Isabella,cotton weaver, born c 1807 in ???Kirklenton, Cumberland.  There are no children recorded.  I have not found any other Charters data at this stage & I haven't found a birth reg for either Alexander or Isabella.
Thanks again for the info.  When I have found the link back to Kirkcudbrightshire (Balmaghie) I will follow him up.
Cheers
Rob

Offline andrewcharters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Hendo, I've just found out about this website through googling Balmaghie Kirk. My name is Andrew Charters. Originally from Croydon, South London, I now live near Huddersfield in Yorkshire. My grandfather John Thomas Charters, was born in West Derby, Liverpool, but was sent back to Ringford, Tongland, Kirkudbright as a young man. He then came down to London where my Dad was born in 1917. He's still going strong at 97. In the early 70's I found a tin box with some photographs my grandfather had taken in 1890. As a result of this connection I spent 2 months as a student at  Dumfries Infirmary in 1980. However I didn't have a car and tried to hitch to Ringford but didn't make it. A few years later, when living in Edinburgh I drove there, and to Balmaghie Kirk and took some photographs. I currently can't find them. My cousin's husband who lives in Edinburgh has done some research. A colleague, who's semi retired has done further research as part of a genealogy course at Glasgow University. She'd come round to show me what she had tonight, hence me googling and finding your post.
Yours, Andrew

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew
My surname is Henderson & I have managed to trace my forebears back (& beyond) to George Cunningham Henderson who was born in Castle Douglas in 1840 to James Henderson (house painter) & Jane McNaught.  George married Agnes Chartres at Willow Bank farm at Balmaghie (her father Alexander Charters & Margaret Hamilton's farm) in 1858.  George, Agnes & their first two children emigrated to Australia in 1861.

From my Charters research I have been able to establish that the name changed from Charters to Chartres (in our mob) after 1840 when Agnes & her twin brother John was born.  Her father (Alexander) was born to John Charters (an Englishman) & Ages Shennan in Balmaghie in c1803.  Interestingly, two of Alexander's brothers William & Joseph were Surgeon's with the RN & were known as Chartres & not Charters.  I list John Charters as an Englishman as he appears in the 1841 Balmagie census as a 65 year old Englishman, of independent means remarried to Henrietta McCourty (in 1817).  John's first wife Agnes Shennan died in 1816 in Balmaghie.

Further earlier research linked Charters of Cumberland (possible birth place of John Charters who married Agnes Shennan), Balmaghie & Dumfriesshire.  The earlier version of the name was Charteris.  I find it amazing that all 3 names (Charteris, Charters & Chartres) can be found in Australia today & probably originated from the one family.

I would be interested to continue this discussion as the history of your family is a fascinating one.
Best regards
Rob Henderson

Offline andrewcharters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 June 15 07:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Hendo
That's interesting. The order of names is not what I expected. My dad always said that the name originated in Chartres near Paris and was changed to charters. The most prominent Chartres is the bishop of London. I remember there being one of the old letters that mentioned a charters in Australia and I got excited when I learnt of charters towers. I'll ask my colleague who has all the info to let me know if she comes across anything that might interest you. I do remember that the graveyard had some interesting stones. I think there was even some partisan rivalry stated on them. One of my friends in holmfirth is a bell whose family trace back to the same area. I noticed the name bell on one of the photographs. Will post the Australian content if my friend finds it. Andrew

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 June 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

My research of the Charters family included many on-line resourses & especially a book entitled “The Family of CHARTERIS of AMISFIELD, Its Cadet & Cognate Branches” (1938) by Mr RC Reid of Cleughbrae.  He was a noted historian and author.  In order to complete the task, Mr Reid collaborated with Mr JJ Charteris-Thompson from Hamilton in Canada & Brigadier General J Charteris, CMG DSO from Surrey, UK.

The family history that I found can be traced back to Robert de Carnato, who came to England in 1066 from the town of Chartres in Normandy, France with William the Conquerer.  Ralph de Carnoto, a descendant of Robert’s, was recorded in the ‘Doomsday Book’ as a major tenant of the Count of Mortain at Wanlip, Leicestershire. 

King David I of Scotland married Matilda, the daughter of Countess Judith, who was the niece of King William I of England.  King David also acquired the English title of Earl of Northhampton until the death of his wife in 1147.  During his time as the Earl in this foreign land, King David called his loyal Northamptonshire barons, including Ralph de Carnoto to attend court in Scotland where they received grants of land.  These grants included estates in Cumberland. 

In 1218, Thomas de Chartres owned lands in Wilts, Cumberland & Sussex.  By 1266 Sir Robert de Carnoto, son of Thomas had received confirmation of the Charter of lands at Amisfield, in Dumfries, Scotland.  His son Andrew de Charteris became the first Laird of Amisfield and established Amisfield as the seat of power for the next 16 Lairds of Amisfield. 

I have summarised more of the early history, but I chose to concentrate mainly on the Charters/Chartres family in Balmaghie, Kircudbightshire & the loss of the family lands in both Dumfiesshire (Amisfield) & Kirkcudbrightshire (lands of Duchrae & others in & around Balmaghie) in the 17th century.  Hopefully I have drawn correct conclusions about the family history.  There was quite a bit of conflicting data available.  My email address is rjhendo@msn.com if you wish to share any of the Charters data that I have.

Best regards
Hendo