Author Topic: Jacques/Rumbold  (Read 3238 times)

Offline TylerJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jacques/Rumbold
« on: Thursday 15 July 04 00:25 BST (UK) »
Trying to find a connection to my family tree. My grandfather is certain his father came to Canada from the IOW but we have yet to find a connection. My g.grandfather was killed in WWI when my grandfather was only a couple years old so he does not know any family details.

I found the marriage certificate of my g.g.grandparents. Elizabeth Jacques of Kingham, Oxon (originally from Salford, Oxon - daughter of Thomas and Sarah Jacques of Salford) and John Thomas Rumbold of Long Wittenham, Oxon dated Dec. 25th, 1901.

Anyone related to these people by chance? Trying to find a connection to the IOW. Thanks!

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jacques/Rumbold
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 04 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi TylerJ,

I cant make the connection to the IOW but I did find the following on the names you gave;

1901 Census RG13/1400 Folio 60 Page 6

Civil Parish:Salford

Ecclesiatical Parish:St Mary

Rural District:Chipping Norton

Parliamentary Division:Northern Banbury

The Plough Inn;

Thomas Jacques,Head,58,Publican,b.Salford,Oxon
Alice Jacques,Daur,16,b.Salford,Oxon

As Thomas' wife is not listed,I did another search for her and found the following;

1901 Census RG13/1382 Folio 18 Page 28

Civil Parish:St Giles

Ecclesiatical Parish:St Giles MC

Urban District:Oxford

Municipal Borough:North Ward

Walton Street Eye Hospital;

Sarah Jacques,Patient,Married,54,b.Salford,Oxon

I don't know if this is your Jacques family,if it is,I hope this helps,Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline TylerJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 04 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Mick! Yes, that is my family I have been researching. I've actually gone back a couple more generations past Thomas & Sarah Jacques but I am trying to confirm with certainty that I have the right family before I continue on with my research.

You see in 1889 there was a little, shall we say, "Ooops!!" in the family line. It looks like Elizabeth had a child (my g.grandfather William Harold Jacques) out of wedlock. His birth certificate doesn't list a father's name. Only his mother's name of Elizabeth Jacques, domestic servant, Little Compton, Warwickshire. William's marriage certificate of 1912 in Canada shows mom but under dad it says _____ Jacques. It is obvious he didn't know who his dad was.

A search revealed an Elizabeth Jacques in Chipping Norton in the 1891 census. She was the daughter of Thomas and Sarah and born in Salford, Oxon - only a couple miles down the road from Little Compton. This Elizabeth would have been about 16 at the time of my g.grandfathers birth in 1889 and was also a domestic servant (from 1891 census). Another connection is that Thomas's father William was from Little Compton.

So circumstantial evidence would strongly suggest she is the mother of my great-grandfather. I can't find any reference to William Harold in any census returns though. My grandfather still believes he came to Canada from the IOW between 1905 and 1910 but I can't make that connection yet. I have Elizabeth's marriage cert. of 1901 to John Thomas Rumbold. They were married in Kingham, Oxon. I was hoping to find them on the IOW but have not yet.

Is there any way I could find out when & where Elizabeth (Jacques) Rumbold died?

I'm begining to think William Harold Jacques was either adopted (but knew his mom's name) or was sent to live with another family member (but was left off census returns). Another thing also is that for several years following the death of William in 1917, my g.grandmother received letters from his family in England. I'm guessing they came from the IOW and maybe that's where my grandfather draws the conclusion he came from there. Unfortunatly those letters were lost after her death in 1966.

I'm 95% sure I have the right family but it would be nice to remove that 5% doubt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline djbritkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 05 08:24 GMT (UK) »
In my family reasearch, I have a John RUMBLE born quarter March 1874 at Long Wittenham (hild of Thomas Rumble and Sarah nee Cross).  On the marriage certificate of Elizabeth Jacques and John Rumbold, does it state John's father's name?

I have been trying to find a John Rumbold married to a Lizzie (or Elizabeth), and am wondering if this is the one I am searching for.

Offline TylerJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 15:56 BST (UK) »
In my family reasearch, I have a John RUMBLE born quarter March 1874 at Long Wittenham (hild of Thomas Rumble and Sarah nee Cross).  On the marriage certificate of Elizabeth Jacques and John Rumbold, does it state John's father's name?

I have been trying to find a John Rumbold married to a Lizzie (or Elizabeth), and am wondering if this is the one I am searching for.

Hi djbritkiwi!
I wish I would have checked this sooner but I do believe we have the same couple here. I will confirm tonight when I get home from work but the John Rumbold who married my Elizabeth Jacques was from Long Wittenham and I'm sure his parents were Thomas and Sarah but I will check to be sure. Hope you check back in to see this post!!!

edit: I just checked the marriage certificate. John Thomas Rumbold married Elizabeth Jacques in Kingham, OXON on Dec. 25th, 1901. John was from Long Wittenham and listed as a labourer. His father, Thomas Rumbold is listed as a Gamekeeper. John is shown to be 28 years old but most likely the same John in your line born in 1874. Ages and dates don't always line up I've found. Looking forward to your reply!!!

TylerJ