Author Topic: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey  (Read 6917 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 April 23 23:18 BST (UK) »
Just to clear up a bit of confusion-
Ballynacally More and Ballynacally Beg are separate townlands.

Early records for St. Guaire's (Church of Ireland) were sent to Dublin for safekeeping and destroyed in fire at Four Courts. Presbyterians were also buried there but not always recorded in the burial register and many of their old headstones were destroyed.

Mary Peden does not seem to be listed in the Mayoghill congregation at Garvagh.
Possibly you mean in the townland of Mayoughill in the Visitation Lists for 1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church?

Would you know if there are any Peden families in the stipend lists for Aghadowey ?
Yes but's late here so will hopefully post more tomorrow if I can.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 April 23 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again,

I made a mistake in my last message yesterday. I found these families in the 1831 census (on a geneology website)  and there is a Richard and William living at Ballanacally XXX ....but am not sure if my townlands are correct. I think i mixed Beg with More in my struggle with the different spellings?

This is what I have

James Roxborough BallyCaion Townland, House 11, 2 male 6 females
Joshua (or Jason or Jasper?) Roxborough Ballanacally Mere Townland, House 31, 1 male 4 females
William Roxborough Ballanacally Mere Townland, House 39, 2 males 4 females
1831 – Census – Joseph Roxborough, Ballynacally More
1831 – Census – Richard Roxborough, Ballycally Morw
1832 – Census - James Rossborough, Ballycahan

Peden - Yes I meant the townland of Mayoughill in the visitation lists at the first Garvagh Pres.

It would be great to connect Mary Peden to her correct family if at all possible ! All help very much appreciated. Reply when you get the time.

Best regards

Ady

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 April 23 08:56 BST (UK) »
Quick reply before I check the Stipend Lists and some other records.

The 1831 census for County Londonderry is online here- just select 1831:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Note: for some reason the site duplicates each entry making it look like there were more household.

Ballynacally Mere is a mis-transcription of Ballynacally More (click on link for image to see original page). There was a Jasper Roxborough but not a Joseph.

This is a useful site for locating townlands-
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/bovagh/bovagh/
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/aghadowney/ballynacally-beg/
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/aghadowney/ballynacally-more/
You can scroll down a bit to 'borders' and see marching townlands.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 April 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
James Roxborough BallyCaion Townland, House 11, 2 male 6 females

It's official name was Ballycaghan townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/drumcroon/ballycaghan/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4800938#map=12/55.0593/-6.6821

***Edited***

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 April 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
No such thing as one 'official' spelling- Ballycann, Ballycahan, etc. are all acceptable variations.

More records from Aghadowey Presbyterian Church-
Stipend Lists (note: only go up to 1850/1854)
1835/1839- pew 135 R[ober]t. Peden (but not earlier)
1840/1844- pew 135 Robt. Pedan; pew 154 John Pedan
1845/1849- pew 112 H. Pedan; pew 135 Robert Pedan, Richard Roxborough; pew 154 John Pedan
1850/1854- pew 135 Robert Pedan, Richd. Roxborough, Richard Roxborough; pew 154 John Pedan

1852/1855? Names of Subscribers for paying off a debt of borrowed money expended in building Aghadowey Meetinghouse- James Pedan (no Roxboroughs listed)

1 Jan.1863 Names of those who have paid their assessment (with pew numbers listed)-
Widow Pedan pew 113; John Pedan pew 154; Johnny Roxborough pew 98; John Roxborough pew 65

Should have more in downstairs office but we moved two large bookcase yesterday and still re-shelving so things are a bit through other here  :-\

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 April 23 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you both !

I have rechecked the 1831 Census and found that the family group at Ballanacally More are not the folks im looking for. This is because the Richard living there seems to be an older generation and the father not the brother.

The only Richard left in the 1831 Census is from Mullahinch, which is two miles or less to John Roxborough in Bovagh. There is only 1 male and three females in this Richards family. Which I think fits a marriage of a young couple from 1829, having 2 babies since then.  But I dont know if this is good logic or not !

The Stipend Lists are also great (big thanks again)

1845/1849 pew 135 Robert Pedan and Richard Roxborough , i think must be related
then.   Did brothers in law share pews?
1850/1854 pew 135 Robert Pedan, Richard Roxborough and Richard Roxborough also works as the second Richard could be aged around 21 (the first born children are currently missing from my tree, so this could be a missing Richard jnr?)

Please let me know if you find anything else !

Thanks
Ady

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 May 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could anyone help me with the following. I'm interested in finding out more about John Roxborough who is living in house 40 in Bovagh in the 1831 census.  Are there surviving documents between 1831 and the Griffith evaluation that might tell me more?

Also, Richard Roxborough is the only Roxborough listed at Bovagh in the Griffin evaluation, 1858. Farming plot 14a.

Is it possible to figure out if house 40 is the same as plot 14a ?

any comments much appreciated

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i wonder if anyone can help me with a big puzzle. I have always thought there was only one Richard Roxborough renting at Bovagh (thought to have been born around 1806 - marries Mary Peden in 1829 then dies in 1901 at the ripe old age of 95??) could there have been two ?

1850/1854- pew 135 Robert Pedan, Richd. Roxborough, Richard Roxborough;

Are there two real Richard Roxboroughs sitting in pew 135 ? or is it a clerical thing?  If they are real are they likely father and son ? what age would someone be to have their name recorded on a pew?

Any thoughts very welcome!

Ady

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Two separate Richard Roxboroughs in pew 135. No way to tell if father/son, etc. and just because they are in the same pew doesn't mean then were both living in Bovagh or closely related to each other. The person listed would have been head of household but no set age requirement.
Since civil registration of deaths didn't start until 1864 one of those Richards could have died or left the area before 1864. I can say that it is not the Richard Roxborough from Aghadowey who left Coleraine Workhouse for Quebec c1846.