Author Topic: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey  (Read 6920 times)

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for this info ...two Richard Roxboroughs sitting on a bench becomes quite a puzzle.

There appears to be two death options for Richard Roxborough  (wife Mary Peden, farming at Bovagh).   The first is the 1901 death which would place him at a very old age of 95.  The second date is from Janell's page*. That he dies circa 1895. This is from a letter from a relative dated 1954.  I assume the 1901 death is correct though?  Where would I most likely find any earlier Richard death records in the area?

*From another Roots chat (Roxboroughs in Bovagh)  janell Lockes link - http://janell.locke.tripod.com/Doherty/pafg02.htm#78

Also would there be such things as wills or tenant farm contracts that could be searched? To establish when John Roxborough mentioned in 1831 gave up farming in Bovagh and or Richard Roxborough took up a farm at Bovagh?  It was part of Waterfords estate i seem to remember?

as always any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ady

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Richard Roxborough of Bovagh died 1901 & granddaughter Lizzie was the informant. Wife Mary (Peden) was about 80 when she died. Here's the death registration-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05740/4620517.pdf
Janell's page says born c1818 and died about 1895 which does not fit with any Aghadowey records.

The only other Richard Roxb* death in Coleraine registration district is his son Richard who died in 1876- he was only 28 so born 1848 and two young to appear in stipend list (1850/1854)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1876/020589/7223983.pdf

Widening the search to all of Ireland those two are still the only deaths in all of Ireland between 1864-1921.

I can list all the Richard Roxborough's I've found but civil registration of deaths didn't start until 1864.

Griffith's Valuation is the next place to check after 1831 Census and from that date (1859) until almost 1930 the Valuation Revision Books are online (PRONI).

Only Roxborough, Bovagh Will is this one- Roxborough William of Bovagh county Londonderry farmer died 24 October 1930 Probate Belfast 14 June to Robert Kennedy farmer. Effects £32.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 March 24 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again ! that's a lot of digging, im really grateful.  You have managed to identify one of the missing children !!
I now have the following family tree (there are a couple of tentative links marked with a ?)

John Roxborough - farming Bovagh in 1831  (?)

Richard Roxborough - marries Mary Peden 1828  (Bovagh) - Brother (?) William Roxborough marries Mary Torrens (Caheny)

Richards Children
James b. c.1833 - married 1855 - Elizabeth Callaghan (Caheny) - moved to Greenock between 1863 -65, sugar house labourer,  then Liverpool between 1874-76
John b. c. 1840 - married 1860 - Ellen Nelson -
Anne b. c. 1841 - married 1866 - Thomas Docherty - moved to America
William b. c. 1842 - married 1864 - Jane Dempsey - stayed at Bovagh
Richard b. c.1848 - Unmarried - died at 28 at Bovagh
Rachel Brown b. c. 1853 - married 1874 - John Hill  - moves to Greenock between 1876-81

From previous correspondence with a descendent of Anne Roxborough, this leaves three unknown children.

of interest is that from William and Mary's family (Caheny)

James b. c. 1841 married 1862 - Elizabeth Callaghan both from Caheny - move to Greenock after 1881 (?) sugar house labourer. but James dies here.

There seem to be a few families choosing to move to Greenock (Peden and Callaghan and Sterrit) following work, then some move onto Liverpool, possibly to Tate & Lyle Sugar house.

My next thoughts turn towards a missing eldest child of Richard and Mary (Bovagh). There is a two or three year gap between their marriage and James their first known child .

Best regards

Ady

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 14 March 24 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Lots of Aghadowey families went back and forth between here and Greenock (mainly to do with employment to at first then later also due to family members settling there). A man in Greenock, whose ancestors came from Aghadowey) that there were streets there with almost everyone from Aghadowey!

I can add another child to the list of children-
Maria Roxborough m.(1 Nov.1867 Garryduff Presbyterian Church) George Orr Shirley 23 June 1847-25 Apr.1935 Quincy, Mass.), son of Valentine Shirley & Nancy/Ann Orr. He m.2 (2 Jan.1879 Quincy, Mass.) Mary Moodie (1857 Quincy, Mass.-23 Dec.1933 Quincy, Mass.).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1867/11508/8232351.pdf
“George arrived Dec.21, 1869.”
Passenger manifest list: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK9Q-QYFX (Mary Shirley age 25, George Shirley age 20). Is this George & Maria?
1879 George's marriage to Mary Moody in Massachusetts list it as his second.
Boston Globe, 26 Apr.1935: SHIRLEY- In Quincy, April 25, George O. Shirley of 139 Quincy Street in his 88th year. Funeral services at the First Presbyterian Church on Saturday, April 27th.

I think Maria might have been a little bit older than George but he was only 20 (underage) so that might explain why they went all the way to Garryduff to get married. The minister was John Brown a nephew of Dr. John Brown of Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.
I haven't found any children born in Ireland, a death for Maria in Ireland or U.S. (George went to Penna. before settling in Massachusetts), etc. If she is the Mary Shirley on the passenger manifest (1869) then she almost certainly died in America. In any case, she must have died before 1879. I have a full account of the Shirley family and George didn't have a sister called Mary.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!