Author Topic: Rutland Burial U.K.  (Read 3218 times)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rutland Burial U.K.
« on: Thursday 10 April 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.  I am trying to find out where my Uncle is buried.  He died in 1961 and was on leave from the R.A.F at the time.

I have been told that he was buried in an Airforce Graveyard in Rutland in England and there is a headstone for him.

Does anyone know which Graveyard in Rutland this is likely to be and if there is an online index I could search.

Thanks

Zylar22

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rutland Burial U.K.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I googled Rutland cemeteries and found this link

http://www.rutland.gov.uk/council_and_democracy/births,_deaths,_marriages__ci.aspx

Looks like Oakham and Uppingham are 2 possibilities but you'll need to contact the relevant authorities to find out.

When you do enquire, please make sure that you give them his full name and actual date of death.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 April 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
Two possibilities come to mind - though I don't have the resources to investigate further:

First, there's Cottesmore. This was home to RAF Cottesmore, and the village cemetery in Rogue's Lane, which leads to the base, appears to contain a lot of military memorials. The RAF left Cottesmore about two years ago, and the site is now known as Kendrew Barracks and home to 2nd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment.

The second is villages close to RAF North Luffenham (also now an army base - St George's Barracks, home to 16th Regiment Royal Artillery). There appear to be some RAF burials/memorials in North Luffenham churchyard (see http://www.rutlandwaterbenefice.info/northluffenham/), but Edith Weston is also close by. However, the Edith Weston page on the same site doesn't mention any military graves there.

There's more about the RAF bases at Wikipedia, and Google brings up various sites referring to the bases, villages and/or cemeteries.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 06:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help.

I have now come across more information in the form of a Probate Record that states he was with Royal Air Force Station Cottesmore. 

So I presume as ArthurK indicated, that he might be buried at the Village Cemetery in Rogue's Lane. 

Is there anyone on this Forum who does look-ups for this Cemetery, who I could send a personal message to with the name of the person I am looking for?

Thanks

Zylar22

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Trying contacting the parish council directly with your enquiry

http://cottesmore.leicestershireparishcouncils.org/services.html?reference=IPSV%2F4597
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea