Author Topic: Burnside, Mapplebeck, Stewart, Mullen......  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Loves.Loch.Ness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burnside, Mapplebeck, Stewart, Mullen......
« on: Friday 11 April 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello folki's!! Had my first day at family history centre in Inverness today. Looking at my fathers side of our family. He was Burnside....his Mum was a Mapplebeck.....her mum a Stewart.  My grandfather Burnside and his mum a Mullen. Seems we have a big family all over Scotland and England! Looking forward to possibly finding rellies on here and sharing info. We were a family of horse dealers, hawkers, cartsmen, showmen, tinsmiths and all things wonderful!!  ;)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Burnside, Mapplebeck, Stewart, Mullen......
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi and a big welcome to Rootschat ;D

If you get stuck there are plenty on here with a very wide range of experience in getting down to the finer bits of tracking back those elusive relies and getting a family tree going, if you haven't already.

Some names and dates approximate at least will help please any other known information.
I did come across a BURNSIDE but not in Scotland but in Durham 1901 with a possible connection. That is a Ambrose BURNSIDE b1861 a HORSE DEALER and his wife Hannah b1863 along with son Ambrose b1887 a Hardware Hawker, sister Mary b1884 another H/Ware Hawker and brother Joseph b1893.

Would they be related or just a coincidence?

Neil ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Loves.Loch.Ness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that reply Neil....the information I have at hand is that my Great Grandfather was called Richard Burnside born in 1884 at Chesterly Street, County Durham and he possible had a brother named William. Not sure on Williams date of birth but he apparently went to Texas for a few years before returning to uk.
Richard Burnside married Elizabeth Mullen in 1904 in Scotland, he was a hawker.  Richard and Williams parents are my Great great Grandfather Richard Burnside born 1864 in Durham. He was an auctioneer. and his wife Sara Campbell Burnside (don't have Saras year or place of birth.)
I would be delighted if this information was used in shedding some light on the rest of this bit of the family!
Elizabeth Mullen (1883) father was Hugh Mullen and he was a travelling Showman, married to an Elizabeth Newlands (don't know her year of birth yet)....... and her mum was an Agnew Newlands born 1811  ;D

Offline Bax85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 September 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Loves Loch Ness...

Richard Burnside is my Great Great Great Grandfather and I have the following information in my tree...

Richard Burnside (1855-1940) married Sarah Campbell (1860 - ?) on 31 October 1881 at Chester-Le Street Parish

They had a son William (1891 - 1968) who was born in Texas and dies in the UK.  William married Agnes McShane (1901 - 1963) on 5 August 1919 South Inch, Perth, Scotland.

They had 10 children...I have more information both regarding their children and grandchildren and Two generations before Richard.

If you think we may have the same family, let me know and I will be happy to share more? :)

Offline Loves.Loch.Ness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 September 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Bax85

Thank you for your very informative reply and yes, it looks like we have the same folk in our tree!
If you could share I would be so grateful. Would you rather email me directly? Happy to provide and contact info you need..☺️👍🏼

Offline Bax85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, happy to email :)

I don't know if I'm allowed to send private messages yet, so if you are please feel free to email over your address and I can forward info.

(*) Moderator Comment;
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php