Author Topic: Immigration to UK  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Erinmede

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration to UK
« on: Saturday 12 April 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
I'm very new to this and not sure what I'm doing and apologise if my posting is in the wrong place.
Can anyone tell me if there were any immigration records for the UK from Europe between the mid 1700's to the early 1800's please?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration to UK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat

Unfortunately there were no passenger lists from the UK to Europe.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Erinmede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 14 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra for the info. I've a feeling I'm about to hit a brick wall on this one.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
There are some "alien entry books" for the earlier years:
http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/immigrants.htm

Don't expect much more than name (possibly first name just initialled), occupation, and a location (quite often something like just "Germany" which isn't that helpful!)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Erinmede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jorose. Any suggestions are most welcome. I suspect my ancestor to be from Jewish parents escaping from Krakow but it is only a suspicion based mainly on her surname of Silverfield or Silberfeld. Very few persons of this name actually exist in the census records.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Erinmede

I hope somebody comes along soon to give you a hand.  The surname intrigued me because when surnames were handed out people took the place name as a surname and there could be more, of course, but I've only found three places with that name.  Two of them (Silverfield) are in the UK (one near Edinburgh, Scotland and one in Sussex, England), as shown on this national archive a2a website page.  Not all UK church records are on familysearch.org website but I see there are there are some English female "Silverfield" bmd's in the 17th & 18th centuries - peculiarly no boys - I wonder why:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/results.aspx?tab=2&Page=1&ContainAllWords=Silverfield

Wikipedia also shows a village called Silberfeld, in Thuringia, Germany, which is a long way from Poland:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silberfeld

I looked in the German Telephone book and only found one person with the surname Silberfeld (in the business directory, but nobody in the residential directory) .

I don't know any Polish but the word seems German, so I looked at Wikipedia for the history of the Jews in Poland and unfortunately it seems there was a purge of Jews in parts of Europe and they headed to Poland.

<<1334 Casimir the Great of Poland ratifies again the General Charter of Jewish Liberties in Poland.>>

<<1343 Persecuted in Western Europe, the Jews are invited to Poland by King Casimir the Great.>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Jewish-Polish_history

Best Wishes
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Erinmede,

If you tell us a bit more about her we can have a look around.  Have you looked at http://www.jewishgen.org/ ? (Both at the databases and at their research advice).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Erinmede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rena, your thoughts certainly make sense and thank you to Jorose for the site you've mentioned. I hope the following isn't over the top but it may give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

These are all I can find in the censuses.

A family in Tower Hamlets, Whitechapel
Barnet       born 1865-1868  Cracow, Austria
Rachel        born 1863            Cracow, Austria
Hyman       born 1888            London, Spitalfields
Solomon    born 1895             London, Spitalfields

In Cheetham, Manchester
John             born 1837           Cracow, Austria

All the above are Silverfield which appears to be an English form of Silberfeld

Leeds, Yorkshire
Henry Silberfeld   born 1856  Cracow, Poland

I knew nothing of the history of Krakow until I did a search. It appears that the 1700’s were very turbulent as Russia and Prussia tried, and failed twice, to annexe Poland between them. In 1795 Austria joined in and succeeded in splitting Poland three ways. Krakow was in the Austrian segment, which came to be known as Galizia. Anti-Semitism kicked in with a vengence and Jews were stripped of their businesses, in effect preventing them from earning a living. In 1799 a law was passed to prevent Jews from selling property to non-Christians. This would mean that they would become homeless if they did and they may not have had any choice if they were being vandalised to force the issue. Many left Krakow and emigrated via Amsterdam and Hamburg but most Silverfields/Silberfelds crossed the Atlantic to America. I have only ever found six in all the British censuses and four came from Krakow.

My GGG Grandmother was Alice Silverfield. I only learned of her surname from a birth cerificate for her youngest son David Grundy. I couldn’t get my GG Grandfather’s certificate because he was born about 1830. From all the evidence I have gathered, Alice claims to have been born in Astley, Lancashire in 1804 (give or take two years) making her the earliest Silverfield I can find. She was supposed to have been married to David Grundy born Astley, 1798, but no marriage for them has ever been found. He was a canal boatman and they lived on the boat until they eventually got a house in Plank Lane, Westleigh, Wigan. David continued as a boatman along with at least two of the kids. The OPC site for Lancashire has extensive Christian BMD transcriptions for the entire county but not a single Silverfield, Silberfeld or anything like it, can be found. David Grundy shows up. Further, of their seven children only the two youngest appear to be baptised. Was Alice really born in Astley or was it convenient to say so in the censuses because her husband was. My thoughts are that if she was of Jewish parentage and escaped from Krakow she could well have been suspicious of an authoritative figure such as a census enumerator. The canal connects with Manchester where the Great Synagogue was built in 1806. I found this on the internet. Prior to that a building was rented but before even that from about 1740 services were held in an alley that became known as Synagogue Passage. I hope you don't think me stupid but Alice has really caught my imagination with such an odd name.