Author Topic: Charles Fisher marriage to Elizabeth c 1850?  (Read 7227 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Fisher marriage to Elizabeth c 1850?
« on: Saturday 12 April 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
I don't seem able to discover a marriage for Charles Fisher (Joiner / cabinet maker), son of Thomas Fisher(Cabinet maker)and Mary his wife in the very early1850s.Charles was still with his parents in 1841 census, but seems to be gone by 1851. I have them both safely together in 1861 and onwards.
I know Charles' wife was Elizabeth/Elisabeth, and that they were born c 1828/9, he in Whitehaven, she in Parton.
I've a vague idea her surname prior to marriage may have been either Ward, the middle name of their eldest son, or Davis, the middle name of their fourth child (and third son). I can't find any other link to either of these surnames being used any other way.
I've not managed to find a date / match online yet, does anyone have any ideas? Help would be appreciated!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline westlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Fisher marriage to Elizabeth c 1850?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi , there are 2 possible marriages in Whitehaven 1851 / 1852 names Elizabeth Parker or Elizabeth Maxwell , the 1852 marriage Elizabeth Hare , Elizabeth Maxwell can be found in Parton 1841 , hope this helps , regards westlass

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, westlass ... I had those Whitehaven possibles, from some sites.  I think I've traced and eliminated Elizabeth Parker. I'd better see what I can do to check out Elizabeth Maxwell, she was originally my favourite, but I don't think Elizabeth Hare is "in the frame". Thank you again - it's always good when other people come up with the same results as oneself.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 April 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
... I had her (Elizabeth Maxwell) as servant in the Ward Household in 1851, I think, not far away from where Charles was lodging and working at that time. Worth following up, I will do so.

Offline westlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
 Hi , if all else fails , I could look up marriage next time I go to Carlisle Record office , they have the Whitehaven records there , regards westlass

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Oh, I didn't know that the records would be there.
If you do happen to find yourself there, the salient details would be of course his job,( cabinet maker / joiner,) his father Thomas's job, the same, as I stated in the original post, and a location not too far from Queen Street in Whitehaven for either partner probably, at the time of the marriage. My money is on Elizabeth Maxwell, born at Parton, from later censuses.

The church would probably be Holy Trinity, St Nicholas or St James, all appear connected with the family at various times.
Names of witnesses might clinch it, he had siblings called Thomas, William Ward, and Wilson Fisher. I think the others, Mary Jane, John Henry, and Joseph Davis Fisher would have been far too young to be possible witnesses.
Please don't make a special trip, but it would be lovely if you might have a look, sometime. Remember: nothing's urgent in family history research, is it?

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 April 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
the trade directory 1858 gives two entries for Charles
who is at 36 King Street
He is a ship owner and also an agent for Ship, Royal Fire and Life
regards
westmorland

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
If you get a birth cert of one of the children, you will fine Elizabeth's maiden name and tben be sure of the correct marriage.
Otherwise you run a risk of following completely the wrong line.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 April 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, lizdb, I know about the certs. He's not my actual line, but collateral. It's a brother of his who is my line. I want to be certain first.
There is at least one other Charles Fisher in Whitehaven at the time, and I think the one in the directory entry was not "mine", thank you "Westmorland".
I know the wife of "mine" gave Parton as her birthplace throughout later censuses, so that's why I want to follow her. Merely filling out details - you'd be surprised how often that leads to finding where later family names originate!
Thank you both for your help and advice.