Author Topic: Callaghan- Liverpool to Manchester  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Callaghan- Liverpool to Manchester
« on: Friday 24 June 05 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, researching Callaghan.

Have John Patrick Callaghan, origins unknown, born 1845ish. Think he born in Ireland, family history states Cork or C. Clare (but mostly this is just guess work)

Father is John Callaghan (Bookkeeper) origins unknown, this is shown on john Paticks marriage cert. He married Phoebe Scotland in Liverpool in Oct 1865.

Phoebe shows her age at time of marriage as 21, when she was only 20 in the Aug, so I cannot rely on John Patricks age being correct. John is shown as a seaman, and later he is always shown as a labourer.

Have them with their children from the 1871 census onwards, and john P is shown as being born in Flint, Wales, Liverpool and Ireland.

Children are.  Thomas B. 1866       (Flint Or  Liverpool),
                       Margaret B 1868. Liverpool (deceased by 1881)
                      John Patrick B 1873 Liverpool
                      Phoebe Ann B 1871 Widnes
                      Margaret B.  1878         farnworth bolton (deceased by 1891)
                      Cecelia B.     1879  Farnworth Botlon(deceased by 1891)
                      Henry B.   1876      Farnworth Bolton
                      William B. 1882        St Helens
                      Joseph B. 1884        St Helens
                      James B. 1886         St Helens

Anyone with any of the above in their tree, feel free to contact me.  Mr gr gr grandfather was John Patrick B 1873.

Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
Re: Callaghan- Liverpool to Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 08 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keren, just wondering if you have got any further with your Callaghans ?
Patzy Callaghan UK
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
 ??? No, just a brick wall.

Did try try to research a likely family in Manchester in 1861, father John Callaghan Bootmaker.........but nothing came from that.

Havent had much chance over the last few months, with work commitments and kids.
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hey Keren I know just what you mean. I had decided to give it a rest cos I found myself going over & over old ground thinking I must have missed something. I have a rest from it every couple of months to recharge my batteries then go for it like I am now.
From one Callaghan to another good luck  ;) Patzy C
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
You will have me hooked again............. Must get off this site!

Lol.  Found loads on my mums side of the family, and got quite far on the other side of my dads, but just not got anymore than I had over 3 years ago with the Callaghan and Scotlands.

I have had absolutely no luck tracing any of my salford Irish back to ireland either.  How did you do it?

Keren

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
LOL Keren I havent done it yet, those elusive Callaghans are driving me crazy. I too have spent three years looking but not got anywhere with them .... I think they dont want to be found just yet, mores the pity.
Most of my ancestors stayed in Ireland making it a little easier - well I know which counties they lived in but can I hell find any documention to proove this. Nothing solid as yet.
I shall keep on looking and no doubt so will you ha ha :)
Happy hunting Patzy C

Offline witch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 08 15:04 BST (UK) »
HIi my name is eileen and i have just started to trace my fathers side of the family and as they are callaghans i just wanted to say hi from a fellow callaghan
killick,edwards,pitchley,pryorcallaghan,cliffe,parker,gawthorpe,
london,yorkshire,scotland

Offline andycallaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 September 22 12:43 BST (UK) »
Re-erecting an old post in case members are still on here.

I have some Callaghan's from Bolton in my tree, but I'm stuck at the point that they came to UK from Ireland.

Maybe we can swap what we have.

Offline Erica1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 24 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, I haven't been on here for a long time, I didn't actually realise just how long it had been, I just wanted to say Hi, i have been struggling with my Callaghans for many years now.
i have recently done a DNA test for me and my mum and a mystery has been solved as to her father, but it now seems that he was also a descendent of the Callaghans too a cousin.
my Callaghans on my maternal side are from Donegal and moved to Warwickshire, Lancashire and the paternal side are from Cork, and moved to Chesterfield Derbyshire.
Paternal side,
Challenger Clutton Somerset England
Painter, Derbyshire

Maternal.
Callaghan, Nuneaton Lancashire, Ireland.
Howe, Nuneaton