Author Topic: Did Francis Hodson, co-founder of the Cambridge Chronicle, have a brother James?  (Read 5496 times)

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Just to confirm Francis & James Hodson were brothers, but James does not seem to have the occupation you describe.

Bury & Norwich Post 29th April 1812
Cambridge – On the 16th inst., aged 58, J.Hodson M.D, of London, brother of Mr Hodson, printer here.

Stamford Mercury 24th April 1812
Cambridge - On Thursday last, Dr Hodson of Cross Street, Hatton Garden, London, brother to Mr Hodson, printer of this place.

Morning Chronicle 18th April 1812
Died – On Thursday last, the 16th instant, Dr James Hodson of Cross Street, Hatton Garden.

Bury & Norwich Post 1st June 1825
On Saturday at her house in Cross Street, Hatton Garden, aged 61. Harriet relict of James Hodson M.D

Offline donnamarcus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thanks for the follow-up Dave,

You have touched on another mystery regarding James Hodson. There is no question he was a printer all of his professional life. He was indentured to Thomas Fletcher (later his brother Francis' business partner at the Chronicle) in 1770 at age 17. From about 1793 til his death he operated a printing firm called the "Stationers Company" out of 15 Cross Street in Hatton Garden. His shares in the company are the largest asset in his will.

However, a little before moving to Cross Street, in 1787, age 34, he authored a two volume book set regarding his own independent interpretation of the Bible which, coincidentally (?!) lined up with the somewhat recent writings of Emanuel Swedenborg. After this James becomes active in the Swedenborgian Church (the New Church) culminating in 1805 with his ordination as a minister. He dedicates much of the last seven years of his life proselytizing.

Fortunately the Swedenborgians keep pretty good records and it is in these documents that one sees him typically referred to as either "Rev. Hodson" or "Dr. Hodson." I didn't quite know what to make of it when I started seeing the "M.D." crop up. I have no evidence of him ever studying or practicing medicine - with one exception: he wrote two medical related books.

We know he was a printer and a minister, was James Hodson also a medical doctor? I think the evidence is less than persuasive. We have M.D. occasionally added to his name, but not with any consistency and often (perhaps solely) after his death. We have the two books which are attributed to him, but writing a book regarding health/medicine does not make one a doctor. Given how strong the documentation is regarding his being a printer and minister, I would have expected much more supporting evidence if he was a medical doctor. My going theory, at this point, is he was given the title "Dr." after he was ordained and upon his death in 1812 someone erroneously converted it into an "M.D." and that was picked up by others and has since been repeated.

Three other theories: (1) Near the end of his life he started passing himself off as a medical doctor (possible); (2) there are two J. Hodsons at 15 Cross Street that died in 1812, one a doctor and the other a printer (this seems very unlikely); or (3) "M.D." stands for some other title, such as Master of Divinity (also unlikely).

Any ideas on your part would be helpful.

BTW, the connection James started with the New Church in the 1700s continues with his ancestors today. At least three of his living progeny are ministers in the New Church.

Offline donnamarcus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Francis Hodson, co-founder of the Cambridge Chronicle, have a brother James?
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 May 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
Dave,

Just as a follow-up, your observation lead me to do further research. Apparently I am not the only one who can't figure out if this James Hodson was a Dr. or not -- a fellow who did a doctoral thesis on printing in Leicester ran into the same problem (see "The History of the Book Trade in Leicester to c1850" by John Hicks, Loughborough University, May 2002). I've discovered more material regarding the Dr. and will post this question as a new topic.

Thanks again for sharing your newsclips.

Marcus