Author Topic: Old sea chest  (Read 4519 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Old sea chest
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 April 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Recently I was delighted to see a small "Migration" display in one of our local shopping centres - and it basically comprised of old suitcases - Containing displays of artefects brought by migrants when they came to South Australia - just little things, documents, postcards - mementos of their "Old Country" - personal items - telling "the story" of the migrants life. 

Items which might seem to be fairly common/useless/nondescript can be so important in telling a life story.  If you don't wish to keep the chest or don't have anyone to hand it on to, your local historical society or even Migration Museum might find it interesting - especially if you give them the story to go with it!  Your post has made me think of an item I was given by a neighbour who had no family - it is an old battered leather "hat box" brought by his mother from Germany after World War 2.  The leather has deteriorated, the stitching is weak, but how many stories could it tell?  I just can't dispose of it, but will now give some thought as to how it could be used to "tell a story".  Getting real sentimental in my old age!!  But hey, this is what life is all about!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 April 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
One may as well destroy the family as destroy an artifact like that.
It is the very essence of family history.
Cheers
Guy

Very very well said.

I think that even if the chest is in poor shape it is worth keeping. I have (others) old suitcases, and those with names or stickers are of greatest interest as they tell a story. They are used for storing everything from old books to new shoes. Suitcases/trunks/chests do have a value on the open market too, so sell it on if you (unfathomably) have no emotional attachment to it.

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 April 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
The "fuel for the fire" was a bit tongue in cheek.   Trouble is, we don't really know its history and if it really was an old family piece brought out here in the 1800's or something my husband's grandfather knocked up to store bits and pieces in the 1920's or 30's.   (Okay I know that makes it old, but not as historic old).   Condition is not great, but yes I agree the "distressed" look is very in.  It has not been kept by the family as an indoor item and has probably hung around at the back of old sheds, storing tools and bits and pieces, hence the rough condition.   It is rough sawn pine too, so not easy to turn into an indoor item.   I would like to use it in one of our bedrooms as a "blanket box" cum bedside table.
I was interested to read from majm that your chest had been wallpapered too.   
I guess I was really wondering if we can get some date to it, but I think that may be impossible now as the generation that might have known have all gone.
And don't worry folks, my husband has it on his "to do" list and hopefully can help it to last a good few more years yet - stop the borer in its tracks!
I did see quite a lot of chests via google, but I agree that this might have been a home-made and therefore different design - which also makes it difficult to date.
Nock, Redman, Taylor, Ward

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 April 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
The "fuel for the fire" was a bit tongue in cheek.   

Well it livened us up somewhat  ;D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 April 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Phew, that is a relief?  ::)

Try to take a few photos both inside and out, plus any details like joints, locks, handles, and I'm sure you'll get a few opinions on it's age and origins, though I agree it can be difficult to date 'rustic' or home made items.  :)

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 April 14 08:25 BST (UK) »

Hi again. From your description - metal handles, lock,  metal reinforced edges and wallpaper inside, it does not sound to me like something a grandfather would knock up just to keep his bibs and bobs in. I really think you need to investigate this chest further. Why would anyone cover a simple storage/tool box with sail cloth?   ???

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Below is a message I have tried to send with photos as attachments but haven't managed to get it to work. I'll leave it till tomorrow and see if I can work out what to do without getting an error message back. :(

Here are some photos of our chest.   The first is of the chest as a whole though the painted cloth covering no longer exists.   The second is a detail of a corner of the top showing the remains of the painted cloth covering and metalwork.   (Most of the metal work has rusted away and not much of the cloth covering remains either).   The third is of the lock, handles, hinges and a piece of the paper that covered the interior (These are sitting on the top of the lid).  The patterned paper is a lovely blue on the bits that were covered, rather than the greyish colour that is present on the exposed bits.   The white paper was over it - a later addition we presume.
There are several bits that have split and deteriorated over the years, so it will take a bit to try and get this to a reasonable state. 

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 May 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
Another go at posting a photo!

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra