Author Topic: Anna Berggren from Sweden  (Read 6685 times)

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anna Berggren from Sweden
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
In order to prove I'm connecting two Anna/Hannahs corrrectly in the US I could use some help in the Swedish records. 

I have emigration data on Anna Berggren departing Gothenberg on the SS Romeo 10 Oct 1890 for Hull, England and then departing Liverpool on 14 Oct on the SS Majestic bound for New York.  She arrived in New York on 23 Oct 1890.  She appeared to be traveling alone on the entire journey.  I noted one other female passenger that originated in Boras but they were not listed together on the manifest and did not share a surname. 

Once in the US i have tracked her into a marriage in Connecticut and then into Massachusetts and finally Maine.  I'm not certain I have the right Anna/Hannah in the 1900 US Census but I believe her husband took another wife around then which muddles things.  I have a likely looking Hannah Christine who marries in 1910 and dies in Maine in 1913 and both her Maine marriage and death records list her father as Peter Mattson/Madderson with occupation of "miner".  Her mother is unknown. 

I would love to find the original Anna Berggren in Sweden in the same household as a Peter Mattson in the area of Boras just prior to the time of her emigration or at least locate Anna herself in Boras and try to track her backward in time.  From a combination of US census and death records I have a calculated date of birth for her as 14 August 1871 but have not been able to link that information to a birth record on Ancestry or Familysearch.

I have zero experience in Swedish research but from what I've read is available there could be a chance of finding her.  Biggest stumbling block at the moment is the language barrier!!!  Google translate is not enough!  Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Berggren from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I checked out this Anna Berggren who travelled on the Romeo. Her full name is Anna Josefina Berggren. She lived in Borås and was born 3 Jan 1871. Her parents were Anders Månsson Berggren and Anna Sofia Stare.
The other name you saw on the passenger list, Jenny Karlander came from the same place and she left 1 day before Anna did and they seemed to travel together.

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 01:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Ian.  Clearly not the answer I was hoping for.  Perhaps I have started with the incorrect Anna Berggren..... yet I did not find another arriving in 1890 which is the year she has stated on US census records.  I assume there is no way to search for an Anna (any surname) born Aug 1871 (month and year given on census records and corresponds with year/month/day age on DC) without have a parish name to look in? 

I'll continue to dig on this side and may return with more info.  Again thanks for the very prompt reply!!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you can give me links to your findings of Anna I can then have a dig myself. I am off to bed here in Sweden now so I can take a look tomorrow.

Ian

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 05:38 BST (UK) »
I'm curious what document you have on the U.S. side that indicates Anna's maiden name is Berggren.  Usually, someone with that surname would have a father with the same surname.  Are you sure Berggren is her maiden name, or is it an earlier married name?  It's not clear from your post what you actually know vs. what you are concluding or assuming.

There are CDs containing a Swedish "census" for 1880 and 1890 that may help track down your Anna in Sweden - not an actual census but rather an index created from parish records.  If you don't get the answer you're looking for from this board, the Sweden board on Ancestry is especially active and someone may be able to help you there, especially if you have a birthdate and father's name.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if her name was Anna then changed it to Hanna?
I have gone through a number of databases and have found a couple of maybes.
We'll see.

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  The only one document I have with the surname Berggren is a child's birth record that states father was Lewis Brink and mother was Hannah Berggren.  Both names spelled just that way.  Both parents listed as born Sweden.  I'm attempting to work forward and backward from that certificate by piecing together plausible records.  I agree that I expected Hannah/Anna to have the same surname as her father.  I may just be barking up the wrong tree with the Mattson end.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 April 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have gone through many databases including 1880, 1890 and 1900 censuses and The Emigration Database. There are no Peter Mattssons with a connection to an Anna or Hanna or even Johanna as a miner. This might mean that he may have died before 1880, assuming of course that the name given is correct and he was a miner. I have even checked other Peter, Petter Mattssons with odd spellings etc.

The record showing the mother’s name as unknown is a bit strange I think. It might mean she was adopted and took Berggren as her name and didn’t know her mother’s name. I have checked all other Berggrens with Anna, Johanna and Hanna.

I have looked for daughters with the name Berggren with different parent’s surnames with no luck.

According to all the evidence I have found and have received from you I think we can safely say that Hanna married only twice, both times in USA. Her surname recorded as Berggren is probably her name from Sweden but without anymore evidence it will be hard to continue.

I have looked up the Anna and Hanna Berggrens on the passenger lists in the Swedish Books. Anyone of these could be her.

The question is, if true, why would she lie about her father’s name?
Is it really her real name?

If you find more info get back to me and I will see what I can do.

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 April 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
I'm still going in circles.  Have a couple of wild suggestions.  Just out of curiosity are you able to locate a Johanna Christina born 27 Aug 1871 to Per Mattsson and Lovisa Andersdotter in Ljusharsberg Orebro?  She ticks the father name and the correct month and year qnd the middle name of christina and hanna with the Jo added.  Any chance Per was a miner?  Any chance she emigrated to the US? 

Now for wild suggestion number two.  I'm waiting on some replies to enquiries to form some more theories so have looked for interesting Berggrens while I'm waiting.  I've found a Peter E Berggren coming through the port of Boston 17 Jul 1886 on the Pavonia.  He was born abt 1860 in sweden.  gives occupation of farmer and his destination looks like Maine?  Can you find him with a departure or before?  Also I have another Peter E. located in Ansonia Connecticut directory 1888-1890 and then was in Derby Connecticut directory til 1891.  I have no idea if he could be the same man or anything about him but am hoping to expand research in that area.

Thank you so much all your searching so far.  Will keep in touch if anything starts to knit together!

Best wishes
Jean