Author Topic: Anna Berggren from Sweden  (Read 6684 times)

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Berggren from Sweden
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 April 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Have perhaps found a few more clues.  The Peter E Berggren I was favoring found inAnsonia Connecticut on directories around 1890 is quite possibly found on 1900 census in ansonia indexed as Eric Bergesen.  He has a wife Louisa and 5 children.  They continue to be found in Ansonia In 1910 and 1920.  His death is recorded as 26 sep 1924 in ansonia.  The exciting bit is his date of birth.  That is found as 27 Nov 1861.......which i believe is the identical date of birth of Joannas brother Per Eric that you found on the Swedish records.  Is this truly her older brother???  Can you find him in Sweden prior to departing around 1884-1886?  US census records are not consistent with dates and ages etc but i do think it's the same family.  On the Connecticut military census of 1917 he states experience as a copper roller.  That is the same occupation shown on the 1900 census for him.  It could also tie back to the place of employment of Peter E Berggren in Derby CT 1890-91 at ansonia brass & Copper co.

Have also found Hanna C on street directories in Maine for 1902 and 1906.  One lists her as widow of Louis Brink.

It's still not clear to me just when and why they changed to Berggren. 

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 April 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
I have found him and yes you are right....
Here is the name Berggren for the first time:

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 April 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
and him leaving for USA...

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 April 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
and finally him on the Swedish passenger list travelling to Caribou, Maine ....
The original is on Ancestry.

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 April 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
That certainly helps a lot!!  Caribou, Maine is certainly an interesting twist!  I hope you are not growing tired of digging out these records as we are getting quite good at this!!! 

I'm wondering if Johanna's mother Lovisa Andersdotter died when Johanna was young.  There must be a reason that Johanna does not recall her mothers name but does recall her father's.  Especially since her father died when she was only 3.  The record you provided for Johanna Christina Petterson leaving Sweden in 1889 does not mention Berggren yet her brother's record does.  She much have changed to Berggren after arriving in the US.  I wonder too if any of the other children changed names to Berggren.  Is there any way to find them in Sweden after the death of Per Mattsson?  I have no clue yet if others came to the US and if they did when.  There seem to be at least 3 other siblings, Carl Johan b. 7 Nov 1864, Lovisa Wilhelmina b. 1 Feb 1867, and August Edward b. 3 Mar 1874.  I will do more digging.

Thank you so much for everything you have done!!!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 April 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hmm...This is very interesting. Lovisa Andersson (Hanna's mother) also went to USA.... Ansonia in 1892. Her son August Edvard also went but in 1894 or 1895 or 1896...somewhere!!. He didn't leave properly by visiting the priest first. So he was accounted as missing. We'll just have to find him.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
I have tried to look for the passenger list of Lovisa and have only found 1 that might fit. I found it on http://www.ellisisland.org as a Louisa.
She sailed on The Hekla from Copenhagen. It is written that she is a widow and is 50 years old.

Also, there is a fun notation in one of the books from 1882 for Per Erik....(Hard to read).

"Judged for drunkenness and aggressive behaviour in church during the God's Service. Fined 50 kronor dated 17 April 1882 at Kopparberg's Magistrates".

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
I hope you are not growing tired of digging out these records as we are getting quite good at this!!! 

Not at all. Keep it coming!!

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Here is August Edvard on the Swedish passenger list to Caribou: