Author Topic: Scotts Belford or Easington Grange 1770-1840  (Read 3124 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotts Belford or Easington Grange 1770-1840
« on: Wednesday 16 April 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Ii am looking for James and Sarah Scott and possibly William
Above message done on unresponsive Samsung tablet  late at night . My 3x great grandmother Sarah Scott was christened 29.Jan. 1775 Belford. I would like to find more on her mother and father James and Sarah Scott. I know they were at Easington Grange late 1700s. Are there any lists for people farming at Easington Grange at that time? Thank you Victor, James Scott - burial 1834 Belford might well be the right James. Mistake about the William. The younger Sarah married Ralph Hindmarsh 1779 and William Hindmarsh one of their sons after a career at sea became a postmaster at Belford. His brother Ralph was my 2xgreat grandfather but I am interested to know if William and his wife Harriet had any children as I can't find any. Perhaps that should be on a different posting . I'm very new to this.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotts Belford or Easington Grange 1770-1840
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to RootsChat.
Source: Northumberland & Durham Family History Society
St Mary, Belford, Burials:-
22/04/1830, William SCOTT, aged 80
07/08/1834, James SCOTT, aged 82
Hope that helps?
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline wb54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 16 10:41 BST (UK) »
hi ejowynne,   
                            this could be your william.

belford churchyard.
                                in loving memory of william septimus hindmarsh born 28 may 1812
                                died 7 September 1887.  also of harriet wife of the above born
                                7 December 1816 died 4 june 1906.

best regards ,    billy.
ballance-belfast,derry,tyrone.parsons-dublin,belfast.lucas-tyrone,belfast.davidson-belfast,newcastle-upon-tyne.rankin-holy island,newcastle-upon-tyne.aitchison-belford,newcastle-upon-tyne,gateshead.harbottle-belford,northumberland, nz & australia.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Billy
Yes that was the Hindmarsh i was referring to. I knew nothing about  him or the Scotts when I wrote that post.but  In the time since then  I have found out a great deal  about them all . Thanks. Jo

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 06:53 BST (UK) »
On eBay there is a letter from a Luke Scott of Easington Grange 1794, see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1794-ALNWICK-TO-EASINGTON-LETTER-LUKE-SCOTT-POST-PAID-2d-WITH-BELFORD-PMk-/371496036553

Might be one of your rellies? The images are good, you can read the whole letter both sides.

On Amazon there is another letter from James Scott of Easington Grange in 1793, see 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letter-Easington-Grange-Alnwick-content/dp/B00AGYGO1O?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

You can blow those images up too, for easy reading

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
These are indeed written by ' my rellies'  James was my  4x gt grandfather and Luke, his son  was my 3xgt grandmother -Sarah Scott's brother.  I have seen other letters but was not aware of these two. THANK YOU  for leting  me know. Jo

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Ejo

Always pays to Google first  ;D  I just punched in - "Easington Grange" history - and looked at Google images. You need the quotation marks around a place or persons name or you get far too many hits.

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE