Author Topic: Spanish Ancestor Research.  (Read 1327 times)

Offline cherub161

• RootsChat Extra
  • You will know the tree by the fruit it bears.
    • View Profile
Spanish Ancestor Research.
« on: Wednesday 16 April 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
What resources are available to me when trying to find my Spanish ancestors? Where does the Spanish government store their birth Marriage and death certificates and their census information? I have been looking in many places online and I cannot even find a Government department or archival place to call. (I don't even live in Spain so it makes it even harder)
BEECH- Warwickshire, England
JACKSON- Aston,Birmingham
PINFOLD- Warwickshire, England
TORRES- Barcelona, Spain
GOŅI- Navarra, Spain
OLAVE- Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Ancestor Research.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
The quick answer is that there are no centralised record archives in Spain.
BMD info is held by the town in which the event took place.
Not sure about censuses. There hasnīt been a national census in the 10 years I have lived here, to the best of my knowledge. Maybe someone else knows differently.
In order to get any information, you need to know the town in which the event took place & apply directly to the Town Hall (Ayuntamento). Your request will need to be in Spanish as itīs unlikely that the person dealing with it will speak English.
Not very encouraging I know, but thatīs the way it is.

Offline cherub161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Do you Know much more on this subject? would you know what forms I would have to fill out... If the person I was looking for was born in Barcelona would you know what place I would have to call? :) thank you for your response by the way!

Regards

Jordi
TORRES- Barcelona, Spain
GOŅI- Navarra, Spain

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jordi, I have no idea, but I am seeing my Spanish friend tomorrow. She works for the local police & if she doesnīt know, she will know where to find out.
Will get back to you, but it wonīt be until after Easter as we have visitors arriving tomorrow.
All the Spanish civil service will be closed until Tuesday anyway.

Marion

Offline cherub161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
That would be really appreciated! Thank you so much Marion!

Jordi
TORRES- Barcelona, Spain
GOŅI- Navarra, Spain

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 April 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
I hope this can help:

Civil registration began in Spain in 1871 (before that most records were kept by the church priest at the local parish, though today many of the baptismal, marriage and burial documents are kept in more centralised diocesan -i.e. seat of the bishopric- archives).

Access to BMD records in the Civil Registry in Spain is free of charge, but it does imply some difficulties for the newbie researcher. BMD records are kept in the "Registro Civil", and each town council/municipality has its own Registro Civil. Their services are slowly becoming digitised, which means documents can be ordered online via the website of the Ministry of Justice (Ministerio de Justicia: http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1200666550194/DetalleInicio.html). Scroll to the end of this post to see specific steps to take.

If you are looking for someone's birth certificate, for instance, you need to know in which town or city the person was born (as registrations usually took place in the birthplace). Note that in Spain some provinces take the name of the capital city of the area, so Madrid can mean the city, the province or the region of Madrid! Moreover, certain large cities in Spain (namely Madrid, Barcelona...) are divided into districts, so when ordering the certificate you should specify the district, the street or the hospital where the birth took place. If the birth took place in, for instance, the city of Barcelona, you will need to specify this information.

The date is often less of a problem, as registrars and civil servants often look a year or two either way if the place is positively correct. They will not look over a wide range of years unless they are in a very small town (or happen to have a lot of time on their hands).

I think, for starters, this should be enough. If you are searching for pre-1871 information let me know and I can tell you about searching in the church records. If you have any problems with the language let me know!

To order a birth record, for example, you will have to go here: http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1200666550200/Tramite_C/1214483947232/Detalle.html; click "Sin certificado digital" at the bottom and then the "Sede electrónica" button. Of the three options you get, click "Solicitud de certificado de nacimiento". You will have to select the region, then the municipality/city and fill in the gaps accordingly. I'm afraid the language can often be a barrier, but being a free service we shouldn't complain :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 April 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
I have a blog entry about tracing ancestors in Galicia, an area in Spain. I'm sure you will find many useful tips here too:
http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/tips-on-how-to-trace-your-galician-genealogy/

D.
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline cherub161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 April 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
Wow! thanks for the help! :) :) I have sent in an application. Lets hope it works! The address I put in is my Australian one, and my Australian phone number. I hope they understand and hopefully send it out.
TORRES- Barcelona, Spain
GOŅI- Navarra, Spain