Author Topic: NSW birth -- David E J DAVIES: look-up please!  (Read 3995 times)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW birth -- David E J DAVIES: look-up please!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
It appears that in 1871 Mary C DAVIES, (if I have the correct girl  ???) was a pupil at the Royal School  located in Charlcombe, Somerset.

She is listed as 14 years of age and born in Australia.

Further record searching shows Owen E M DAVIES a pupil at Wellington College in the district of Easthampstead, Berkshie.  He is one of a great many  boys enrolled.

Is this correct to your knowledge?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:04 BST (UK) »
Do I take it, then, that the original record shows nothing beyond what Ancestry have transcribed? :(

:) If you did take it that way, you would be missing out on further info.   What Ancestry has transcribed is NOT from the original record.   They do not claim it to be from the original record.  It is from an INDEX of the NSW Registrar General's Office for Births, Deaths, and Marriages, and most likely from the index originally prepared in the 1930s, based on volunteers reading from the Reg Gen's records.   

Civil Registration commenced in NSW in 1856.   You can tell the difference between an Early Church Record held by NSW BDM and a Civil Registration held by NSW BDM because the Early Church Records (mostly pre 1856, but some as recent as 1890) include the letter "V" as part of their index reference no.

Your chap's birth registration is listed at the FREE to search website that NSW BDM offers.   You do not need access to Ancestry to find the NSW BDM index.  Here is the link that is listed at RChat's fantastic NSW Resources Board (lots of other live links there too)...   http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html
and
Registration Number is 2445/1856   (1856 being the year, and 2445 being the Cert no allocated by the Reg Gen's office.   There will also be another number, the one allocated by the local office where the registration was made ......  Paddington District, a district in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney).
The mother's surname  DAVIES   
The baby's first given name and any initials for further given names DAVID E J   
The given name of the father of the baby OWEN  (where the parents were a married couple)   
The given name of the mother of the baby JANE   
The district where the registration was made PADDINGTON

To complicate matters further, in the initial stages of civil registration, it was possible for a birth to be registered in NSW where the baby was born OUTSIDE of NSW, was not yet 18 months of age and was living in NSW.   

So a 1856 NSW birth registration should give you
Where and when born  (address eg 'at sea off the coast of NSW' or street and town in NSW, or if born in rural district the name of the farm/station etc, name of the day of week and the full date,
The family surname
The baby's given names (all, not just initials  :) ) and if present when birth being registered
Father's name, occupation, age, and birthplace   :)
Date and place of marriage and any previous issue (of the marriage)
Mother's name, previous name/s, maiden surname, age, and birthplace
The name of the informant (usually a parent, but could be an older sibling, or relative, or family friend, or householder etc), informant's relationship to the baby and the informant's address
The names of the witnesses (doctor, midwife, nurse)
The local registrar.  (until WWI, the info was usually given verbally, so this is the name of the person who recorded the info provided .... verbally, so subject to various accents, spellings, poor handwriting, etc). 

Here's a sample of a birth registration held by NSW BDM and displayed at the website.  It is for Henry LAWSON, a famous Australian Poet.  He was born 1867. http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/resources/b1867-11928.pdf

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,
Can you help with any information about Port View House before it became the Foundling Home in 1875?

This is the birthplace of the 2 children found by Wivenhoe.

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
Edit this post to note I did not find further details for Port View House, Paddington  :-[  trusty book is misplaced.  ::)  ::)

Sands Suburban Directory 1864 (entries closed end of October 1863 for 1864 publication)
EASTERN SUBURBS  (page 121)
Mrs DAVIES, Victoria Street, PADDINGTON

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW birth -- David E J DAVIES: look-up please! COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:15 BST (UK) »
This is incredibly helpful and kind of you to spell all this out for me, majm!  I have very little experience with Australian documents; and you have given me here all I need to know for this project!  I know exactly how to follow this through, now. 

Thank you so much, Sparrett and Wivenhoe. :)  The newspaper birth announcements are particularly interesting -- listing the actual property where both births took place; plus useful confirmation of Mary Constance's birth-date (otherwise only attested to in the Pedigree). Wonder why there was no newspaper announcement of David E J's birth, though?   ???  There is something odd about this.  (I shall post if I ever find out what it is!)

Yes, Sparrett, the info you found re children's schooling is correct -- the family left Australia (initially for Ireland) in 1859.

Thank you for finding all this stuff! :-*  I am very grateful for everyone's help.

CELTICANNIE :)
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
Birth at Port View House 1861....to Kenneth STEWART (wife Anne for births to this couple)

SMH 14 Oct 1869
On the 13th instant, at his residence, Underwood-street, Paddington, Mr. KENNETH STEWART, aged 62 years, only son of the late Captain LACHLAN STEWART, of the 79th Regiment of High- landers, of Crachinish, in Minish, Isle of Skye, Scotland.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:19 BST (UK) »
Birth at Port View House 1861....to Kenneth STEWART (wife Anne for births to this couple)

SMH 14 Oct 1869
On the 13th instant, at his residence, Underwood-street, Paddington, Mr. KENNETH STEWART, aged 62 years, only son of the late Captain LACHLAN STEWART, of the 79th Regiment of High- landers, of Crachinish, in Minish, Isle of Skye, Scotland.

Yes, I spotted a number of births and marriages taking place at Port View House and I wonder if it was an residential Establishment for regimental families.

Sue

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:26 BST (UK) »

Is there a Tasmania connection here.....?

Launceston Examiner 18 Nov 1856
BIRTHS. On the 1st November, at Port View House, Paddington, the wife of Owen Davies, Esq., 11th Regiment, of a daughter.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
So where were the various companies of the 11th regiment stationed in 1855 -1856?   

I can imagine that some were defending the colonies from the fear of imminent invasion of the Russians (Crimea War, yes, there was a credible fear in the Antipodean colonies that Russia was about to invade !).   (Fort Dennison, Sydney Harbour, completed in  1857 to defend Sydney against this invasion threat http://fortdenison.com.au/the-fort/history-of-fort-denison/ )

Convict transportation to VDL ceased 1853, but some convicts were still serving out their sentences. (Convict transportation to NSW ceased 1840s).   WA started to accept convicts in late 1850s 

There were regiments across the Tasman in New Zealand  :)

Cheers,  JM