Author Topic: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century  (Read 18460 times)

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« Reply #36 on: Friday 01 July 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all those who share their information. The one daughter of Robert Brown - Nancy - who married David Torrens, was the Grandmother of the distant cousin, Mrs. Mary Ann Torrens Johnston, with whom my Cousin Genevieve Brown was in communication with. As was already mentioned in this 'thread", it is indeed unfortunate that our predecessors did not record more of their information and recollections! That would certainly have facilitated our efforts in this present age!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 01 July 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Yes THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Most of my information had come from Ancestry and Jersey Ties (who found all of you)!  My Grandmother - Ethel Boyd Heaney was an only child and her mother Sarah Hogg Heaney died in 1910!  My grandmother was not even married yet. 

I really did not have anyone to ask this of on my paternal side.  My dad was Sarag Hogg Heaneys grandson.  I have joined the Ulster Foundation and started going to workshops and mini conferences when they come to our area.  I never knew so much of my side was from a very close geographical area in coleraine/Londonderry. 

I have yet to get my DNA test as Jersey Ties has, but I plan to do this in the coming months.  It sounds like many of us "may" nave some tie via a cousin relationship since there were 8 Brown daughters and Robert Brown was one of 6 or 7. 

I have enjoyed doing Family research for 15 years, but had concentrated on my maternal side.  Doing my dads side has been more challlenging, but these breakthroughs in the last 6 months have been wonderful!  I do plan to come back to Ireland in the next year and come North.  I have been 4 times, but only Dublin and Galway/West side.  I am married to a man that is half Irish and all his relatives were from Tipperary and County Cllare. 

If there is a way to share pictures, I would do so.  I have a lovely picture of Sarah Hogg Heaney from about 1872 when she was young.  It was my grandmothers. 

Aghadowey, so appreciate your assistance with both sides, but the recent Heany information is amazing.  Please let's all keep the three going.  When I get the DNA results, I will let you all know. 

Irish Lynn

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 01 July 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Meant to say let's keep the thread going.  Seems like we are all related (while distantly) somehow.

Happy 4th of July to those of you in the USA! 

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 01 July 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
This is a  page from Hugh Torrance and Rachel (Brown) Torrance's Bible and a link to her gravestone on Find A Grave
  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Torrance&GSfn=Rachel&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=90135130&df=all& 

This is her sister Jane Brown McQuaig's tombstone in Canada

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=McQuaig&GSfn=Jane&GSiman=1&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=92961050&df=all&

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 01 July 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
What a lovely page and great to see the details included  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 01 July 16 23:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, very interesting to see this. I am always amazed at the amount of information that can often be found at the "Find A Grave" site. In this "age of technology" so many more avenues of research have opened up! My return to genealogy was prompted by the discovery of long-lost information, as well as a "curiosity" to see if anyone still lived who had a connection to these 'long-lost" relations. Four of my direct Brown ancestors all immigrated to America (Alexander, Hugh and Thomas Brown - and their sister, Elizabeth (Eliza) Brown Orr) ; the rest stayed in Northern Ireland. It is very interesting to discover all of these "connections" again!

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 02 July 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
found these articles on the Ancestry site..they are about Robert Brown and Jane Henery's daughter Margaret "Peggy" Brown and her husband Alexander Hoag.  They give some interesting information on the family...neither article had dates or the name of the newspaper, although one seems to be an obituary for Alexander Hoag and his will was proved in 1911.

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 02 July 16 01:54 BST (UK) »
Very important information in the newspaper articles! Very good of you to post these. A bit off the topic of Robert Brown specifically, however I was wondering if any of the posters knew something about any of the siblings of Robert Brown? Samuel (from whom I descend) was born in 1772, and was the eldest. Robert (born in 1784) was sixth. There was also Mary, John, Martha, Alexander, David, Jean, Thomas and Margaret. I believe the name of the parents were Alexander and Martha Brown (and Alexander would probably have been born around 1750 or so..)

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 02 July 16 05:00 BST (UK) »
Alexander and Margaret (Brown) Hoag's tombstone in Burial:
Wildwood Cemetery
Salamanca
Cattaraugus County
New York, USA