Author Topic: Jessie McAllister  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Andy Jackson AZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie McAllister
« on: Saturday 19 April 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information you might have.  Born 27 July 1858, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland and married Archibald McIntyre, on . 3 June 1881.  Arrived in USA 1888. Thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie McAllister
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 April 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Do you have a copy of her marriage cert - what are the names of her parents and her mothers maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 April 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
In the 1861 census she is a 9mth old boarder - no parents shown.  Are any parents shown on her birth cert?

Her age on the census does not tie in with the 1858 birthdate shown

In 1871 she is 12yrs old and with mother Elisabeth aged 45 - both shown as born New Monkland
New Monkland ED 7 Page 19 Line 21

Tracking Elisabeth back to 1861 - Jessie may be the 2yr old Jean shown with Elisabeth and a number of other children - was she a twin??
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Andy Jackson AZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 April 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information you might have.  Born 27 July 1858, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland and married Archibald McIntyre, on . 3 June 1881.  Arrived in USA 1888. Thank you.
Here is some new info: Her mother was a Buchanan who lived at 47 Clyde St. Glasgow. She arrived thru Ellis Island on 14 Oct 1915 from Liverpool along with her daughter Margaret and her 5 children. She then went to Toronto to her son Archibald and returned Detroit Apr 1916. All doc list Jessie being born in 1857, Glasgow.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 April 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

You really need to download a copy of her 1881 marriage cert to establish her parents names.  There is no birth showing on Scotlands People in 1858 for the name Jessie McAllister in Lanarkshire

There is a Jessie McAllister birth in 1859 but it does not match to Lanarkshire.  There is an 1861 entry for a Jessie McAllister b 1859 Wigtownshire which matches that birth entry

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 April 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
There is an 1881 entry for a Jessie McAllister b 1858 Glasgow but she is in service so not with parents.  Address 230 West Regent St Glasgow

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 April 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
She arrived thru Ellis Island on 14 Oct 1915 from Liverpool along with her daughter Margaret and her 5 children. She then went to Toronto to her son Archibald and returned Detroit Apr 1916. All doc list Jessie being born in 1857, Glasgow.

Your opening post said she emigrated in 1888 to USA so did she return to Scotland?

The 1915 passenger list shows her travelling alone

Offline Andy Jackson AZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 April 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
She arrived thru Ellis Island on 14 Oct 1915 from Liverpool along with her daughter Margaret and her 5 children. She then went to Toronto to her son Archibald and returned Detroit Apr 1916. All doc list Jessie being born in 1857, Glasgow.

Your opening post said she emigrated in 1888 to USA so did she return to Scotland?

The 1915 passenger list shows her travelling alone
Thank you for helping my search.  My father Andrew, His mother Margaret (Jackson)Bullock, and his grand mother Jessie McIntyre sailed Liverpool, 5 October 1915, aboard the SS Saint Louis. Page three of the ships manifest shows my father Andrew, His mother Margaret, His step father Herbert,his step sister Ruth, brother Archibald, and Jessie.  Guess I will have to visit the LDS library once again and look at more film.  Thank you.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:50 BST (UK) »
Jessie McAllister and Archibald McIntyre married 3/6/1881 Kelvin, Glasgow - according to this her parents were Angus McAllister, Steamship Fireman (deceased) and Maggie Buchanan, formerly McAllister, maiden name Findlay - she is shown as aged 24 suggesting birth date 1856/7.

Clearly her mother Maggie remarried a Mr. Buchanan after the death of her first husband Angus.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.