Author Topic: Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire  (Read 10852 times)

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire
« on: Friday 24 June 05 16:07 BST (UK) »
My ancestors on my mother's side were the Richards/Davies family in Cwmbyr.  I've traced them back to 1841 and beyond.
Interested in contacting anyone re this family
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Benjamin Richards who I believe to be the brother of William Richards of Cymbyr Farm. I would be interested in any information especially pre 1841.

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
I've got some pre 1841 info and will get back to you

Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 05 13:01 BST (UK) »
Cheers Nigel

I look forward to receiving 1841 information.

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 05 09:55 BST (UK) »
As names are passed down from one generation to the next, when was your Benjamin Richards born?

I've got census details 1841 for Cwmbyr and a Benjamin Richards 18 son of William Richards and Mary Richards.

Ive got census details 1841 for William Richards Melinwaun, Talley, the father of William Richards above.

I've got a copy of William Richards Melinwaun's will that has a reference to his son Benjamin

I have a copy of the 1911 obituary of Rachel Davies (Richards) Cwmbyr, my great, grandmother.  Reference to a surviving brother named Benjamin, living in Llangadog

I have a reference to a Benjamin Richards, son of William Richards Cwmbyr marrying a Sarah Griffiths of Blaenwaun Talley

hwyl

Nigel

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 October 05 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel

My Benjamin Richards was born about 1808 in Talley. He married Mary Ann Marles in Gloucestershire in 1838. I have him in each census except 1841. I have his wife and his first daughter living in her parents household in 1841 but Benjamin is not present. He died aged aged 77 years in Fletching, Sussex. Benjamin was my paternal gt/gt/grandfather.

I have his father in the 1841 census and his mother at the same address in 1851. I have the death certificates of both his mother and father.

I also have his father's will which mentions Benjamin's reputed daughter Maria. I have also found a David born in Talley in 1831 being recorded as the son of Benjamin Richards and Elizabeth Thomas.

I don't have the christening of Benjamin or of his mother and father.

I live in England and have only seen the transcript of the Talley parish registers at the Society of Genealogists. I would welcome any information that you may have on Benjamin's parents and would reciprocate if I have any information that you require.

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 October 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
You are saying, I think that your Benjamin is the son of William Richards, Melinwaun, Talley.  If so I'll get back to you with further information

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 05 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel

My Benjamin Richards was born about 1808 in Talley. He married Mary Ann Marles in Gloucestershire in 1838. I have him in each census except 1841. I have his wife and his first daughter living in her parents household in 1841 but Benjamin is not present. He died aged aged 77 years in Fletching, Sussex. Benjamin was my paternal gt/gt/grandfather.

I have his father in the 1841 census and his mother at the same address in 1851. I have the death certificates of both his mother and father.

I also have his father's will which mentions Benjamin's reputed daughter Maria. I have also found a David born in Talley in 1831 being recorded as the son of Benjamin Richards and Elizabeth Thomas.

I don't have the christening of Benjamin or of his mother and father.

I live in England and have only seen the transcript of the Talley parish registers at the Society of Genealogists. I would welcome any information that you may have on Benjamin's parents and would reciprocate if I have any information that you require.

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 October 05 19:22 BST (UK) »
Benjamin Richards' father William Richards, Melinwaun , Talley.  William was the miller on the Edwinsford estate. 

I've looked at several documents relating to the estate, one refers to work being done on the mill in 1811.  The reference states " Paid William Richards, carpenter for work done"

Parish records for Llansawel (next parish to Talley and where Edwinsford mansion was).  Baptism of William Richards, 1799; Richard Richards, 1803 and Evan Richards, 1804.  The father being William Richards, carpenter, Garnwen, Llansawel.

No reference to Benjamin Richards but I have not found baptisms for Williams' other children either

According to the IGI William Richards was born in Garnwen, Llansawel circa 1771 and married his wife there.  Check out "Family Search web site"

Check out old-maps.co.uk.  Type in Garnwen, Llansawel in the address box.  Go into view your map and then enlarged view.

Just further down, below Edwinsford you'll find Melinwaun.

Let me know how you get on

Nigel